Discuss No water in hot taps -pressurised system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I am new too the forum. I know nothing about plumbing so I hope somebody can advise...

In 2011 I had a pressurised water system installed - condenser boiler, cylinder, radiators, etc. Also installed was a solar thermal panel (evacuated tubes). Last month I had the solar system drained down prior to the panel being removed for roof re-tiling. Now there is no water in any hot tap. The cold taps are fine but the shower has no water at all.

When the solar system was drained down, I did ask the heating engineer if this would affect the boiler heated water system but he told me that it would not as the two systems are separate.

Yesterday, I had a plumber look at it and he said there in no water flowing through the cold inlet to the cylinder. He said that replacing a valve/tap in that part of the system would solve the problem - £500 to supply and install.

My question: Is it possible that draining down the solar thermal system could have affected the boiler heated water system? I don't want to pay £500 to replace a valve only to find out that it does not solve the problem.

Is there any flow of water from the hot taps?

No - there was no water from any of the hot taps. I had another plumber come round today. He removed the suspect problem valve - it was the non-return valve and not the pressure reducing valve which was at fault.

He poked around in the pipe down-flow from the valve and found a piece of plastic. So the non-return valve had perished and part of it had come away and was blocking the pipe. He said he would need to order a new non-return valve. In the meantime, he put the malfunctioning non-return valve back in the system and said we can use the hot water until the valve is replaced with a new one - hopefully this week.

There is now (cold) water flowing from the hot taps but am I okay to fire up the boiler to heat the water? As I understand it, the non-return valve stops hot water getting into the cold water supply. I would rather live without hot water for a couple of days than create any further problems.

Reply to No water in hot taps -pressurised system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all. My house have instant gas hot water system with solar hot water. Hot water is taking long time when I turn the tap on. The house is...
Replies
Views
AKSARAYLI
A
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the...
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock