Discuss Outside tap in a terraced house (and hello) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

9wizard9

Hi there - my first post on this site.

Potentially a bit of a funny question, but I want to fit an outside tap to the front of a terraced house. Problem is, all of the existing pipework that is exposed is at the rear of the house, and the whole ground floor has just had expensive oak flooring put down.

Is there any way that anyone can think of to plumb in a tap at the front without having to take up the flooring (which I'm guessing will ruin the finish on the floor)?

The mains water supply runs under the street at the front of the house, so presumably somewhere there must be a pipe under the front garden linking that to the rear of the house - might it be possible to connect a tap to this from the outside of the house at the front?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

it seems like a fairly straight forward task, dig up the garden, find the pipe and dig a track (min 760mm deep) to where you want the new tap, turn off the water at the street, cut in a tee piece and a new toby valve (so you can isolate outside tap in winter) run a pipe andconnect your new tap (check all requirements for back flow prevention etc, a double check valve should be fitted inside, but you wont have any inside pipework

Hi. Do some home work prior to digging. As to what type of material the supply pipe is made from. If its lead pipe it may be difficult to branch into. Good Luck

Alternatively it may be possible to run a pipe up the inside of the house teed off from the rear pipework, then go via the loft or underneath the first floor boards, then down again inside the front of the house to join the new outside tap!

Could use PEX plastic pipework and/or copper and use corners of the rooms (then box in) or any existing ducting to hide the piping. I have done this on two houses successfully using existing ducting.

PS Hello!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful replies - sounds like there are a number of options that should work then.

stick a rain barrel on the down pipe to your gutters, free fm some councils. cheap and you dont use mains to water your garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap in a terraced house (and hello) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock