Discuss Passing pipes under floors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys. Just wanting to know how you lot pass your pipes under the floor boards?

Do you clip them to the sides of the beams? Or put noggins in?

Do you take the floor boards up at certain distances? What about if you need to run a 22mm pipe and notch but the beams are 180mm thick?

Also, do you take up 3 floorboards in one area to be able to pass the pipes in in a decent length?

Looking forward to all your advice

Regards

Mutley

If the joists run the right way I take up 3 boards and slide down the pipe with tape over the end

Otherwise take up the boards where the pipes need to go, notch the board using a circular saw and a hammer

or use 10mm and thread it through, can save getting up a lot of boards.

sometimes you can drill a hole through the outside wall and feed your pipes in then jump down and position them :cool:

sometimes you can drill a hole through the outside wall and feed your pipes in then jump down and position them :cool:

Great tip, never thought of that, made my day. Thanks.

Ripping up floor boards, ok if they've been picked up before, I used to use a ripsaw but use a fein multitool now, much tidier and less chance of cutting cable etc, you can only notch top of joist by 0.8 x depth in the right area too, hand saw and chisel for me. Cable rods or wires sometimes help esp with plastic pipe or microbore.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It all does really help. Had to lift up a few floorboards the other day which were all tongue and groove. Lucky i had my little bosch multi tool. It would have been a mission otherwise. Only problem is is that the 10v batteries dont last long at all. I debated whether to get the fein corded one or the bosch. oh well. It is still a great tool.

Cheers

Hmm!

Expensive way to do things. Toolstation sell an electricians floorboard chisel and lifter for about ÂŁ7, probably just as quick.

Err! A joiner once told us "Don't pull the board up straight away, punch the nails through into the joists!"

Well I did and it worked, except when I went downstairs, the plaster over the plate nails holding the plaster board to the ceiling, had dropped off here and there.

So a partly spotted ceiling resulted in that one and it looked horrible.

So bear it in mind if you are lifting boards.

Incidentally you I think you can get a cross cut blade for a circular saw as well as a rip. Its got finer and more teeth to the inch, so you should get a finer cut.

Thanks Bernie. I remember someone telling me about being careful with the nail punch while up stairs. So i have been pretty cautious.

I have just been using a wood chisel and hammer to lift the boards with
those electricians flooring chisels are long.

Have been postponing getting one since i started plumbing.

Nail Jack

I've found this... only in the USA though..! anyone come across it before? there's loads of videos on you tube about it... NailJack Pro looks like a good piece of kit. It'll costs about ÂŁ30 with the P&P though, so maybe worthwhile buying a few & hawking the rest on ebay. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Passing pipes under floors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. What would you recommend for pipe support whilst running 15mm central heating pipes parallel to floor joists? My idea is to screw wood...
Replies
Views
Considering many options for dealing with plastic pipe / fittings under a tiled floor, which are difficult to get to because they sit very close...
Replies
Views
Hi, How do I support with clips pipes run under a floating timber ground floor? The joists are too small to notch or drill into and in any case...
Replies
Views
Hi, You may have seen my post from 2-3 weeks ago about the troubles I was having with cowboy builders/electrician/plumber/gas engineer that I had...
Replies
Views
looking for some opinions on whether or not people generally insulate hot/cold/heating pipework under suspended timber floors? I mean typically...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock