Discuss PEB whats the situ with bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

l11tul

got boiler change bonding is only 6 mm and does not connect to water stop cok is it my duty to change this to 10 mm

in a word no, you have a duty to inform the customer that the bonding needs to be confirmed as safe by a suitably qualified person,

if the gas main isnt bonded correctly though dont change the boiler until it is corrected,ascthe gas supply pipework doent meet regs

if the gas main isnt bonded correctly though dont change the boiler until it is corrected,ascthe gas supply pipework doent meet regs

i dont think it is workable for most gas engineers (assuming most of us dont have electrical competance and a £600 test kit to confirm it is safe)
when i inspect a ME bond i'm saying it is bonded (or not) as per the gas regs, not that the bonding is inherently safe, as that requires a ze test to confirm, if you inspect a gas meter and see 10mm2 cable connected properly within 600mm of the meter outlet and before the 1st tee do you then check the electricity meter to confirm it is connected properly at that end, and even if you do that how do you confirm the cable isnt chopped under the floor, i have long argued, to no effect, that the visual we do if we confirm it is ok is almost less than useful as it proves nothing, only when the bonding is outwith the gas reg criteria can we fully confirm it doesnt comply with gas regs and a spark is req'd to confirm it is safe, sparks hate us saying the bonding isnt right as our interpretation contradicts theirs, which must supercede ours.

got told by a sparky yesterday that its not required under their regs anymore,dont know if this is true

under the boiler bonding is no longer required under 17th edition

unless the manufacturer says otherwise (just been a nerd and been looking at ed17 regs) as I believe you dont have to bond gas pipe within 600mm of meter now, but not sure where i heard that, makes it a b***er to check if gas pipe bonding has been done!!!

the requirement to bond within 600mm of meter outlet has never been on the electrical regs the requirement is simply that the pipework is bonded, the 600mm dimension is to fall into line with pipework BS6891, which states the first 600mm of pipework after the meter should be rigid, a bonding clip needs to be on rigid pipework therfore the gas regs have always asked for the ME bond to be within 600mm of meter outlet to ensure if pipework is ever changed to semi rigid the fisrt 600mm will always be rigid and will not require ME bond to be moved. Sparks have been saying for years the 600mm dimension is notrequired by them, as they bond at the first accessible poit of entry so it can be inspected, therefore with an external meter they bond where the pipe appears up through the floor where ever that is rather than where it enters the house under the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to PEB whats the situ with bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock