Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Piping upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davlins

Keen to get advice and opinion from the experts.
We currently have a 20yr old Gloworm Swiftflow combo which has served our 4 bed/ 17 radiator house very well. We want to replace it for 2 reasons - it is increasingly difficult to restart the pilot light on return from our 2 month absences and also we will be downsizing in a couple of years time and will need to replace for sale purposes.
We have had a good number of approved gassafe installers round and we had decided to go for a half decent boiler rather than a valliant or Worcester bosch- so we opted for the ideal logic 35plus. However we had a guy round tonight who said we didn't need a 35kw model and a 31 kw was more than needed and he could do a great deal on a valliant model which would be a bit more expensive but offered a 10 year guarantee against the 7 given by Ideal.
However he also mentioned the likely need to upgrade the piping from 22mm to 28mm. He is the first person to mention this but once he mentioned it I did think of the distance our Meyer is from the boiler - approx 15 metres.
Our needs revolve around 1 power shower/ 5ring gas hob and oven and as said we have 17 radiators.
So any advice/ opinions re all of the above would be appreciated.

Why not take advice from the expert you'v had in your house as opposed to strangers on the internet, use the man/lady you feel comfortable with and comes with a recommendation from friends/family, check he is registered with gas safe and that you have agreed on a price before you hire him.

yes you will have to upgrade the gas pipe depending on the run of it

Exactly how many gas safe installers have you had come out to price this job?

4 supply and fit quotes in Dec 2014 and installation

date agreed with 1.Due to unfortunate circumstances installer didn't manage to keep appt and as we were going abroad things were left until we returned this month. We have since had 3 quotes for installation only.

Why not take advice from the expert you'v had in your house as opposed to strangers on the internet, use the man/lady you feel comfortable with and comes with a recommendation from friends/family, check he is registered with gas safe and that you have agreed on a price before you hire him.

I am assuming that some of the strangers on the internet you refer to are indeed gassafe registered installers?
We have had 7 supposed experts giving advice and quotes - very varied and often conflicting may I add.

I'd stick to the first manufacturer u said. Ideal. But an ideal vogue with 10 year warranty. Your best going slightly bigger for the hot water demand as the vogue have a super efficiency condensing mode so it will modulate down as with the demand . Defo 28mm gas pipe upgrade so he's th only one talking sense .

Also you have 17 radiators. Are they bigguns ???.
Depending on the model you may need an additional expansion vessel if the system water volume exceeds the maximum for the boiler.

Some are 100 litres (ish) maximum.
If not done or calculated you risk the system blowing off excess water pressure through the integral safety valve

I would think your gas pipe work will need upgrading from what's been said. I normally expect to have to upgrade if gas meters more than 10m away from a combination boiler. If you have had an engineer suggesting this is the case then go with him/her over others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Piping upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This...
Replies
Views
H
I need some help and advice with a boiler issue. We have F29 and then F29 appearing on our new boiler. This happened after few days where water...
Replies
Views
J
Boiler broke over Xmas and needs replacing and I’m tempted to move away from our 1985 gravity fed system and get a combi as many other parts of...
Replies
Views
Jack Canfield
J
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock