Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Plumber Charging For Estimate! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Simon good to see u again, The threads seems to have vanished as i replied to that thread and its not under my profile so not sure mate,,,,,

Allright Kris. You must be flogging on.

Aye I had an email about a reply but it said invalid link. Must have been deleted.

Sometimes it is necessary to charge for estimates.

We had to camera a drain at a youth hostel to see what / where the problems were.
I said we were not prepared, nor able to provide a costing without having some basic idea of what repairs are needed and there would be a charge for doing the investigations.

They paid for the camera investigations and the report and then handed it to another mob who priced the works.

I don't charge for quotes but from what I remember he didn't get a quote rather a diagnostic for a boiler fault so I would charge for that.

Do you guys charge for estimates?

Only if either, already provided an estimate and its a substantial change or there needs to be some investigation needed before estimating.

If an estimate is more than 300 or 400 then I tend to add a bit on which covers any time spent looking and pricing.

I never charge for estimates unless it's a job that's already mine and I've started the work and came accross a problem and I've given the customer an estimated cost to continue but the time taken to do an estimate I never charge for.

i'm going to charge customers for calling me soon if they keep taking up my time and anoying me to go out and quote a tap change...
thinking 0845 @ÂŁ1 a minute

i'm going to charge customers for calling me soon if they keep taking up my time and anoying me to go out and quote a tap change...
thinking 0845 @ÂŁ1 a minute

I lost a job last week because of that. Customer wanted me to meet her at rented property to look at leaking bath tap then provide a written quote. I suggested that as I carry the necessary, we could meet, agree a price and do the work there and then. She said my "terms and conditions" were too strict!! I mean seriously? A quote for a pair of tap washers?!

Last edited by a moderator:
PS - where DID that thread go? All seemed civilised and polite to me? Were there ructions later on in the thread? A pity, because I thought it was giving customers an insight into how much "free" quotes and estimates actually cost us...

PS - where DID that thread go? All seemed civilised and polite to me? Were there ructions later on in the thread? A pity, because I thought it was giving customers an insight into how much "free" quotes and estimates actually cost us...

I dont think custards are bothered how much it cost us to quote, been to quote loads of jobs then found out im quote number 5 or 6!!

I dont think custards are bothered how much it cost us to quote, been to quote loads of jobs then found out im quote number 5 or 6!!

I have heard of people getting as much as 13 estimates for a new heating system! Mental & they really haven't a clue what materials they are getting, or what the workmanship is going to be with each firm! Time wasters.
I had a phone call a while back on a Sunday from a lady asking for a new condensing oil bolier. She seemed to know too much about it & said she had got other quotes. I ignored her request as phoning me on a Sunday after getting other prices is already annoying me.

Last edited:

I would think croppies pressed the red button and closed it. He's on call so he's a bit volatile at the moment!

nothing to do with croppie i think, when threads or posts are deleted they are still there just hidden from view. this one has gone completely, only admin could do that

The guy was a complete moron, wouldn't listen to anything and would only listen to what he wanted to hear.

Some people like to play keyboard warriors that`s why if I`m in a thread and it`s going around and around I bail out.

i charge for estimates if the customer needs a written one for insurance work and promise to take it of the bill if i get the work as half the time they just want quotes so there mate can do it

I have to say I would love to charge customers who ring up and ask the price of a product that is in our price list. We spend a friggin' fortune printing pricelists and posting them out (over 100,000 per year in total) and people can't be @rsed to look up the price of WB 24i Junior. Which has been on the same page for years.

We all have our crosses to bear! :)

I have to say I would love to charge customers who ring up and ask the price of a product that is in our price list. We spend a friggin' fortune printing pricelists and posting them out (over 100,000 per year in total) and people can't be @rsed to look up the price of WB 24i Junior. Which has been on the same page for years.a

Calm down Ray. When I rang you last week about the WB Junior boiler, I was at customers who wanted a quote. Sorry. It wont happen again

I lost a job last week because of that. Customer wanted me to meet her at rented property to look at leaking bath tap then provide a written quote. I suggested that as I carry the necessary, we could meet, agree a price and do the work there and then. She said my "terms and conditions" were too strict!! I mean seriously? A quote for a pair of tap washers?!

Then your probably aswell to give her a miss anyway !!

I charge almost same for fixing a washer as I charge for new taps. So I recommend new taps or get someone else to sort it. Exceptions, OAP's

I have to say I would love to charge customers who ring up and ask the price of a product that is in our price list. We spend a friggin' fortune printing pricelists and posting them out (over 100,000 per year in total) and people can't be @rsed to look up the price of WB 24i Junior. Which has been on the same page for years.

Jist out of passing interest, how much is aWorcestershyte 24 junior Ray.

Just to say screwfix (plumbfix) had a good deal on some ideals the other day. Cheapest I had seen

Sorry edit...
It was baxi duotec. Cant even remember what I bought lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber Charging For Estimate! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock