Search the forum,

Discuss Possibly strangest question asked in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikew123

Hi

I'm not a plumber but need some advice on the materials you use.

I need to make a mould for some parts on a car I'm building and want to use pipe insulation as the mould material.
This mould will be sacrificial.
The parts are going to made from carbon fibre but the shape means I need to dissolve the mould.

Can anyone tell me what can dissolve pipe insulation.
I've tried cellulose thinners and acetone to no effect.

I suppose I'm asking "what's the worst thing to come into contact with pipe insulation" and as far as how will it effect carbon fibre then I will test that myself.

Hope you can help.

Mikew

Foam insulation is expanded polyuthethane, and once its cured, I don't know of an off-the-shelf solvent. I saw a posting on another site which suggested hot caustic soda or methylene chloride.

Would you not be better to use wax, or some other more conventional sacrificial material.

if your using carbon fibre, as with fibre glass shouldnt you be using a mirror image fibrfe glass mould with a release layer between the two. Any solvent to remove the pipe lagging wont be doing your carbon fibre any good

Petrol. Use polystyrene we used to dissolve bolt cones with petrol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possibly strangest question asked in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit...
Replies
Views
hi all i hope you are all well i'm planning to install my shower mixer on Saturday. today i was doing a dry fit and i wanted to show you some...
Replies
Views
Hi guys first post. I am in the process of rejuvenating a double wash sink. It was needing the waste below looked at for a washing machine and...
Replies
Views
Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock