Discuss Probation Inspection!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lew2412

Hey guys,

I have my probation inspection coming up in less than 2 weeks and i am petrified. I've been reading some of the previous posts about them but there a couple of years old.

I dont do much gas work im more of a plumber/bathroom fitter.i done my ACS around a year ago and cant remember much to be truthful. i have the books still and just wondered what sort of questions they ask so i can revise for them

i doubt ill be able to take them to any jobs i have done. what will they say about that? can i just do something on a family members boiler e.g. a service?

Any information will be great.

Thanks very much.
Lew

Hi lew and welcome to the forum. Firstly I'd say keep calm. It is quite terrifying waiting for your first inspection but honestly it really isn't that bad. What area are you in? Do you have gas appliances in your own home? The inspector is there to make sure that you are working safely. Simple as that. He won't be firing questions at you. Before you know it it's all done!

Know your basics, tightness testing, flueing and ventilation. How to use an FGA and some of the more common building regs we have to know and benchmark certs

get the inspection at your home, practice the basics on your own appliances, make sure that everything including the small things are bang on like stability devices, ventilation grills, new closure tape etc....

explain to him/her that you have no jobs to show due to your current work load but you can go through stuff in your own property.

things to read up on are:

using your FGA (dont forget they are needed on commission of boilers now)
tightness testing
Pressure testing (standing,working,burner)
gas rating
purging volumes and proceedures
testing appliance controls ( FSD, FFD,Ckr shutoff, Thermostats, etc....)
Gas pipework basics

make a cuppa tea at the start and talk with confidence and you will be fine

They will spot a BS'er a mile off so dont be afraid to say im not 100 percent sure about some things, better to be truthful, they dont expect you to know everything, consulting your books or phoning a tech helpline is part of the job.

Pretty much as above, use your own boiler (or a family members if thres one that you preffer) Know your Flue/Vents/Saftey Devices/GasRate-Burner-Working pressures, go over TB008 Flue in Voids incase they do ask anything about that.

Have your unsafe sits book handy (they are printed for a reason and thats so you reffer to it, he would expect you to look something up rather than guessing or BSing him)

Tightness testing and open flued checks you should be able to reel off the top of your head.

But biggest thing is just be honest with the guy, they will know very quickly if someones at it, so if your unsure look it up, if you can explain why and accept any advice he has for you, they know folk stress out about these things, they expect a little hesitation/panic. Just chill and get on with it.

Thanks very much for your replies guys.

I live in north London and i have gas appliances in my own home which are fairly new and also the same in members of the families house. i have a FGA thankfully and know how to use it.

I will practice on my appliances and go through everything step by step over the weekend and the next one.

Thanks,
Lew

As above. He is not there to catch you out, merely to assess that you know the basics, and know how to reference any other stuff needed.

Pretty much as above, use your own boiler (or a family members if thres one that you preffer) Know your Flue/Vents/Saftey Devices/GasRate-Burner-Working pressures, go over TB008 Flue in Voids incase they do ask anything about that.

Have your unsafe sits book handy (they are printed for a reason and thats so you reffer to it, he would expect you to look something up rather than guessing or BSing him)

Tightness testing and open flued checks you should be able to reel off the top of your head.

But biggest thing is just be honest with the guy, they will know very quickly if someones at it, so if your unsure look it up, if you can explain why and accept any advice he has for you, they know folk stress out about these things, they expect a little hesitation/panic. Just chill and get on with it.

In addition to this make sure you have the latest copy of TB008 printed off, the inspectors over here are looking to see a copy of that.

have yourself a little gas testing tool box, containing your manometer, earth lead(s), leak tester fluid, warning labels,gas tape labelling, ecv labelling tape, all in one place, inc your pads for servicing, warnings etc. your inspector will normally like that and puts you on a good footing to start.

No one enjoys the visit lew but usually once you meet them and start talking then you'l find that youre training will spring into action and once hes gone you,l think was that it,,,, but like all the guys are saying freshen up with the basics and the 3 places where you decide to take him repeatedly do all your checks on them, if you are struggling the guys on here are brilliant for any queries ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Probation Inspection!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. just had my probationary inspection. Most of the inspection went ok, apart from when the inspector asked me questions about gas fires and gas...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, just a quick query (hopefully). We’ve got a combi boiler installed in a cupboard with the flue going 90° then directly through the external...
Replies
Views
I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock