Discuss pumped hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamesboy678

young lad just qualified as plumber and have been asked by a mate to sort his hot water out.

he lives in a single flat no upstairs and has a gravity fed system. the hot water is indirect fed and feeds one basin tap, one kitchen tap, mixer shower and bath tap. the flow rate is extremely poor due to the head pressure being ridiculously low. he has asked me if i can install a pump to help out with the hot water. has anyone got advice on how i would go about deciding what pump to use and how i would go about the job?

any advice much appreciated

young lad just qualified as plumber and have been asked by a mate to sort his hot water out.

he lives in a single flat no upstairs and has a gravity fed system. the hot water is indirect fed and feeds one basin tap, one kitchen tap, mixer shower and bath tap. the flow rate is extremely poor due to the head pressure being ridiculously low. he has asked me if i can install a pump to help out with the hot water. has anyone got advice on how i would go about deciding what pump to use and how i would go about the job?

any advice much appreciated

Hi
I would fit a stuart turner negative head pump single impella for the hot and put the
cold on the mains

thanks very much for the reply, i will look into that. also im i right in thinking that the pump should be placed after the vent pipe to avoid pumping over the vent?

thanks very much for the reply, i will look into that. also im i right in thinking that the pump should be placed after the vent pipe to avoid pumping over the vent?

i would personally come straight out of cyclinder using an essex flange.

also i would think twice about using a pump on the hot and mains pressure.... i would personally pump both the hot and the cold from the cylinder and cwsc respectively to ensure equal pressures.

the flat is very small as well, and my mate aint short of a few bob. he has been complaing about the state of the flat for long time and i was thinking would it be an option to maybe install a unvented system in the flat? that way the cold and hot are balanced. i have my unvented hot water ticket so installing it would be ok for me to do

go for it mate. expensive bit of kit though.crazy how you need to know how to fit a pump but you can fit unvented crazy how these qualifications work.

If your fitting your unvented cylinder, I'd re-read all your books, read the install guides twice, have a look at the property twice (at least) you'll see things you missed the first time, if you think it'll take a day it'll take 2. Think about where all the pipe works going, re-check everything before commissioning, have the cylinder help line programmed in your mobile just in case. Maybe being over cautious but this is what I do. Good luck.

i would personally come straight out of cyclinder using an essex flange.

also i would think twice about using a pump on the hot and mains pressure.... i would personally pump both the hot and the cold from the cylinder and cwsc respectively to ensure equal pressures.

Hi

that is right about the essex flange and i agree about putting both feeds on the one pump that is providing the ballvalve can keep up with it
have done that in similar situations and the ballvalve could not cope
so had to use pump for the hot and blank the cold on tank joining to the mains which works perfectly well and has for the last five years.
also depends on mains pressure as most likley between 1 & 2 bar
which i am pretty sure a pump runs at

cheers

well some of these showers fitted can be expensive and a thermostatic head being about 60-70 quid plus labour - i would prefer to make sure the hot and cold were equal pressures... have never fitted mains onto a pump before as it can invalidate the warranty on the pump too if not fitted to manufacturers instructions - im not saying it wouldnt work charles me old mate - but its not something i would do myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pumped hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Can anyone remember the Mira mixer shower that would work down to a really low pressure on a vented hot water system without a shower pump?
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock