Discuss radiator drain valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roy8754

Hi all, Hope you can help. Need to drain down my system, so went to the lowest rad with drain valve. Not seen this type before thought it would be simple. i'll try and explain the valve to you, Trv and the end that you connect the hose points vertically down, which can be unscrewed and only once you unscrew it totally, and pull it out will water flow from it. I thought if i unscrewed it a bit water would come out but it doesn't. I've even unscrewed the bleed valve to let air into rad. Any help would be much appreciated

Sometimes crud accumulates in the drain valve (which is usually the lowest point) which stops the outflow. I usually can clear this by pushing a pin or drill bit up the outlet! Have a bowl handy!

if u need to drain it all down jus open the drain off valve wi a hose round it.
* start bleeding the highest radiator then check see if the water is leaving
the system
* if not the remove the hose an poke inside the valve wi a screw driver or screw ETC
*if its a combi boiler,leave the hose on close the bleed valve an add a bit more pressure to the system. If its the washer thats jammed, it should just push the washer out.

*also found a quicker way to drain down systems (aslong as the water is flowing.)
add a pond pump on the end of ure hose and leave the bleed valve open. (tried it myself a 170l unvented cylinder drained down in 17mins)

hope ny of that helps

Sometimes crud accumulates in the drain valve (which is usually the lowest point) which stops the outflow. I usually can clear this by pushing a pin or drill bit up the outlet! Have a bowl handy!

I have these drain valves, hideous - have to open to get flow and then put hose on high-pressure spray!

Drained my radiators today, one valve now doesn't close - the ceramic(?) washer has disintegrated. I can't find a replacement - I don't even know what it's called!

Any thoughts?

Won't be ceramic - will just be hard perished rubber or a fibre washer.

Personally I only use standard draincocks in the pipe itself.

or problem is the installer not take the doc apart before they solder it in place and melt the washer permanently in situ!:eek:

Can't say I've ever come across that but I guess it's something you find with DIY installations.

That's good to know... I might be able to get away with just using a replacement washer!

I wish that they had done so here, what a pain to use...

Thanks for your help,

That's good to know... I might be able to get away with just using a replacement washer!

Thanks for your help,

Of course, I've no idea what the original size of the washer was before it became a hardened black shard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to radiator drain valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I did some plumbing many years ago I have never fitted a combi-boiler and am confused by this problem ...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock