Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Red wheelie valve in airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob the bridge

Could you please tell me what the function of the red "Wheelie" valve, (picture attached) situated in my airing cupboard and whether it should be open or closed. Thanks

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 60
It's called a gate valve.

The function might be as a by-pass valve.

Count the turns from fully open to fully closed and go somewhere in the middle.

What's the problem with the system?

Many thanks for the reply, no real problem. I did not know what this valve was for. Nobody seemed to know. One guy told me it was there to assist in draining down the system but that did not make sense to me. The only thing I noticed is that when the valve is fully closed with the CH off, the pipework makes a rushing noise. I have only just had the system refurbed and did not want to mess things up. thanks again.

As Oz says it needs to be open

It looks like a basic bypass which will let water flow when both two port valves are shut and the pump over run is active. The valve should be opened enough to let a flow through. Sometimes it is connected to the towel rail circuit.

Might be better having a proper automatic bypass valve fitted, rather than an always slightly open gatevalve, in my opinion. Needs a heating engineer to do it and set it though.
My thinking is an auto bypass valve will remain fully closed unless the system needs it to open, when little or no flow is happening. But a gatevalve always open just derates the circulating pumps ability to pump around rads. Really just short circuiting a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Red wheelie valve in airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock