Discuss Removing Jurassic bathtaps, frustrated and confused. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

They are as @Best said, globe taps. They would more than likely have been put in by the Plumber using putty and paint, whilst the bath was stood on end and before it was installed. They will be difficult to remove but not impossible.

They are not available anymore due to regulations on back siphonage. The spout is within the bath and although you have an overflow which appears to be below the spout level, if it blocked, even partially, or has a flow rate less than that of the taps, then it is possible for the taps to become submerged in foul water. They are existing so don't need to be replaced retrospectively as far as I know.

Have you thought about what you will replace them with?

As best said, I would be tempted to repair them and spend some time on that. It should be possible for them to be re-seated, washer-ed and packed, as long as they are not corroded.

Have you thought about what you will replace them with?

As best said, I would be tempted to repair them and spend some time on that. It should be possible for them to be re-seated, washer-ed and packed, as long as they are not corroded.
I don't have any sentimental attachment to the taps, but THEY seem intent on out-living the house. I have carved a smooth shiny cylinder out of the hexagonal nut on the internal mechanism. I would have been happy to reseat and fit a new washer, but the Tap God's are denying me the opportunity. I might have another go, now that I can gauge the amount of work to replace both taps.

No, I haven't looked at what I would use as replacements

I don't have any sentimental attachment to the taps, but THEY seem intent on out-living the house. I have carved a smooth shiny cylinder out of the hexagonal nut on the internal mechanism. I would have been happy to reseat and fit a new washer, but the Tap God's are denying me the opportunity. I might have another go, now that I can gauge the amount of work to replace both taps.

No, I haven't looked at what I would use as replacements

If you have ruined the chances of using a key on the flats, then you will need to use a pair of footprints/pump pliers or something else that tightens slightly as it grips.

You could blank the existing holes and use the wall mounted method:-
1576085604250.png

As long as the projection is enough to clear the overflow.

Failing all that, change the bath.

Just a few suggestions, I don't know if any of them help at all but good luck.

Some seized parts, including the works in old or new taps are best loosened by a hitting spanner a sharp thump with a hammer.
Best to still have the body of the tap held somehow

Some seized parts, including the works in old or new taps are best loosened by a hitting spanner a sharp thump with a hammer.
Best to still have the body of the tap held somehow
Yep, tried the "engineer's fix". I have a trusty lump hammer, but perhaps my technique is at fault. I'm probably being too timid as I try to err on the side of caution.
I won't get another go at it for a few days, so perhaps I might take some practice swings in the back yard. My neighbours probably already think that my nocturnal plumbing has something to do with disposal of my victims. What will I do next!?

Reply to Removing Jurassic bathtaps, frustrated and confused. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for a bit of advice regarding the shower diverter valve on my bathtaps. Pictures attached. Problem is that when I run the taps to fill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Wondered if i could get some expert advice regarding a ground floor flat I have purchased and about to move into. The building is circa...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with some advice. Ahead of some renovation work, we had a 50 year old old floor standing boiler in the utility...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone,, I'm a keen DIYer and need some advice on AAV or durgo valve,, we're renovating our house and plan to put a bathroom on the other...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock