Discuss repacling a bath that's too big so fitted into wall cavity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kjw

Hi
I've just got my NVQ2 and my first bathroom replacement. At first look I thought it would be an easy one for my first one but when I had a proper look yesterday the bath is too big for the length of the room and is set through the plaster board and into the cavity by about 50mm.

I reckon I can get the old one out by chopping it in half but does anyone know any easy way to get the new one in? The customer isn't retiling so I can't gain a few mm by taking the tiles off.

Any thought would be appreciated.....but I guess it might be a case of just trying to riggle it in!

maybe try a shorter bath? if you take the legs off the old one you may gain enough to pull the bath out of the wall, if not you may have to take some tiles off, just one of those things im afraid

Measure the gap !!!
Get a bath that fits ! I guess its an old imperial but You r gonna be very lucky if u dont have to remove at least one row of tiles . Watch tap heads and the wall !!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
cut out the old bath if its fibreglass, use gloves mask etc as they can be bleeding sharp. Prepare the new bath and have all the feet set fully wound in to give you as much room as possible for manouvere. lift one end and drop in carefully. you may be lucky with the tile or else you will be sticking them back on, check whether there are spares available and warn the customer that things ay not go to plan. then off you go with the jig saw have fun

Thanks for the replies. The cutomer has already got the bath so I guess I'll see if I can get it in or tell then they'll have to swap it for a 1600 or have a row of tiles removed.

cheers

worst case scenario, cut hole in wall at end of bath in adjacent room and push it in, customer may want to return their bath for a smaller one. have had to do this once to replace the taps, customer didnt bat an eyelid. helps to be able to skim walls on completion though.

In the past 5 months we've had to fit two baths that where too big for the gap.

One was as it was a like for like insurance job. So the old bath came out with a small angle grinder, and the wall was chased. No problem.

The other was as it was an old cast imerial bath 1640 long. A deep chase each in, and she slotted in, just.

I first and second fixed a lot of new builds for stamford homes and all their baths didn't fit in the gap by about 30mm. Had to get a padsaw and cut a strip of board out to put the bath into the wall (back end, not tap end). You will be lucky not to have to take any tiles off, what if the wall brackets on the bath are behind them?

Just to update...... I managed, after about 3 hours, to get the bath out without braking any tiles and get the new one in. Was a pain but the customer was happy which was the main thing.

well done kjw nothing like experiencing a problem for yourself and over coming it as well nice one:)regards turnpin

Just to update...... I managed, after about 3 hours, to get the bath out without braking any tiles and get the new one in. Was a pain but the customer was happy which was the main thing.

Good on you kjw,hopefully the next few bathroom changes will be a bit easier to make up for the 3 hrs it took,but all part of the learning curve and seems you have come through this one ok :)

imho

Yes the bath they'd bought was slightly shorter - 10mm did it!
Thanks for the well done...

Great to see someone ask a question, receive many replies and then say "Thank you" !!

Not really sure why I said that but I just did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to repacling a bath that's too big so fitted into wall cavity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock