Discuss Repair or Replace Recommendation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
20130405_170548.jpg!Hi, am hoping someone can advise on whether I should repair, or replace, my Glow Worm Economy Plus 50F conventional boiler?

I am not requesting technical advice on how to do this - merely a basic recommendation from a professional as to whether it's worth repairing my boiler.

(Croppie has accepted this proposal - as I'm not actually asking anyone to tell me how to do this myself).

Currently the boiler is not working - I have had an engineer check it over - so took some photos at the same time.

The fault is possibly due to insufficient airflow through the heat exchanger: when you switch it on, the piezo igniter just keeps clicking but you don't actually get ignition. The fan is working. When you remove the 2 exterior covers, so that the gas jets are exposed, and then switch it on it ignites immediately: the GSR showed this to me when on-site.

I have attached a pic of the heat exchanger - which looks pretty clogged to me - so seems a reasonable assumption that no air is being drawn through it - and hence no combustion.

I'm no expert, but the GSR did quote for repair £1000 and replacement £2700.....this seems expensive to me for a 15kWh boiler that only has to run 2 sinks, one bath and 5 rads.

So, bearing in mind the photos - do you think this heat exchanger really is 'toast'? i.e is it worth me bothering with a repair - or should I just get some more quotes for replacement?

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Pretty much but always worth getting a couple more opinions at that level of expenditure.

Is it kettling badly?
Are there any leaks on the exchanger?
Is it costing a fortune to run?
If no to all these clean it out and see how she goes

Is it kettling badly?
Are there any leaks on the exchanger?
Is it costing a fortune to run?
If no to all these clean it out and see how she goes

That's what I wondered about - having someone to clean it up - at least that way I could get a bit of extra time to get some more quotes in without freezing my bits off... :)

When the case was open, I couldn't see any leaks - and no it isn't costing a fortune to run. Not sure what you mean by 'kettling' though.

The other issue is, that so far, no one has wanted to bother cleaning it...at £100 per hour, I'm not overly keen on getting more engineers to check it over either.

Wish I could charge £100 per hour :-(

Whereabouts are you? £100 an hour is a bit steep. There may be someone from here that can have a look at it for you. I'd certainly be looking a bit further at the problem before going for a new boiler.

Whereabouts are you? £100 an hour is a bit steep. There may be someone from here that can have a look at it for you. I'd certainly be looking a bit further at the problem before going for a new boiler.

Thanks - that's what I thought, so far have tried 5 firms and all are charging in the region of £85 - £95 pph + VAT...so £102 per hour min.

Reckon I will spend more time looking for a more reasonable rate - but here in High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire) all the trades (except mine! - I solve peoples IT issues), seem to have high charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Repair or Replace Recommendation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock