Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement for bath trap leaking onto ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

realnovice43

Hope you can help me with a novice query - the current trap sits in a cut-out in the floor under the bath - so water can run directly onto the ceiling below and it did!. No matter what I do it's weeping from the thread on the connection to the waste.

I think it was cross-threaded at some time as it has been stuck on to the old waste with mastic so I want to replace it.

Waste pipe connects directly to the stack. The trap connects to the waste pipe by screwing onto a small piece which then connects to a push fit bend.

The local plumbers merchant told me the old trap was a P trap which was the wrong sort for a bath and sold me a McAlpine shallow trap which I now know has a 19mm seal that's too low. I see posts about 50mm or 75mm being the minimum and I'm not sure which I need.

Which of these is the correct way to go please?

1½" x 50mm Seal Bath Trap - Bath Traps - Traps | McAlpine Plumbing Products

1½" x 75mm Seal Bath Trap - Bath Traps - Traps | McAlpine Plumbing Products

Thanks

If you buy some ptfe tape (around £1.50) you can put a few turns (half dozen or so) around the rubber ring on the trap, then fit to bath. Best to remove the whole trap first, wrap the rubber ring, fit to bath then fit other end of trap to pipe in that order.

If this doesn't work it might be worth buying a new bath waste and new 1½" shallow bath trap and start again. (Fit bath waste first, then trap to waste, then trap to pipe.)

50mm depth of seal required if you are connecting to a stack.

50mm min. id change the complete bath waste kit aswell as the trap for peace of mind.

Thanks all for this info, think I'll change the waste too to be on the safe side.

So I'm guessing 75mm would be better as belt and braces? As there is a P trap there presumably I could just get a replacement for that rather than specific bath waste like those in the link (there's a whacking big hole in the boards anyway)??

I would change waste and get a mcalpine Q10 bath trap these are very shallow and would be ideal for you
And for ease if it does not marry up get a mcalpine flexicon 6 40mm!

If its a plastic waste, take it out get rid and replace it with a metal one. Seal this to the bath with plumbers mate. Fit a Mcalpine trap with overflow to this first and then connect to the waste pipe and this will eliminate any chance of cross threading. This trap, waste combination will last for years if you install it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement for bath trap leaking onto ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock