Search the forum,

Discuss Rust spots on flexi sign of failure? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
What causes rust spots on flexi are they a sign that the flexi will fail soon? Thanks

Often, not been cleaned properly of LDF or when a weak washing up liquid / water mixture has been used instead of LDF.

In the past I have seen stainless corrode in a humid environment (swimming pool area) when grinding of mild steel has taken place in the immediate vicinity and the debris not thoroughly cleaned up.

Have never seen an anaconda that has failed through corrosion, but believe that it can happen very quickly

I would guess that another cause could be flux not properly cleaned from the pipe surface.

From a GS(I&U)R perspective, if the corrosion is significant, it could be an AR under regulation 7. That only moves to ID when there is an escape of gas.

I have no real idea as to how you can determine how quickly signs of corrosion proceed to and result in a leak.

im guessing you mean a water flex matt

Bit confusing this one Matt if you mean internally on tap flexis then often it's caused by condensation cold water entering a warm environment via the Flexi much like a toilet cistern in the winter months they can condensate and drip, If you mean a gas anaconda then often it's LDF not been washed off after use causing pin holeing . Regards kop

That's the flexi in question

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_181036.jpg
    IMG_20201105_181036.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 12
Condensation I would say

Thanks yes. I'm not particularly happy with the set up. I can't think of a way to pipe it without the flexi. It's a wirquin cistern they sell this part separately.

Reply to Rust spots on flexi sign of failure? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I get orange spots when washing clothes. Please see photo. I think it is rust. I’ve checked there’s no metal in the machine. I have also run a long wash with lemon juice. Neither have solved it. I read power flushing is the answer to rust elsewhere in the system. How can I tell...
Replies
Views
How safe are flexi pipes my toilet cistern has one it was changed about a year ago when the toilet was removed for some work to the bathroom floor. However would it be better if replaced with copper pipe. What is the life time of flexi pipes, has any one had experience of them failing.
Replies
Views
I've spotted this rust patch on the outside of a cast iron radiator in the house. There's no sign of any water leaking from it on the floor, however when I put my finger on it, I couldn't say it was bone dry. Any advice on what I should do to try and resolve this? I'm a bit fearful of...
Replies
Views
Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current tap is connected with copper down to plastic pipes. I've attached photos below of what's there now and what the new flexi tails look like (is that a...
Replies
Views
Okay so I went and purchased this nice Grohe Bau Curve Kitchen Mono Mixer Tap and I knew it came with 6mm bore flexi tails which was fine because I thought I'll just change them with 8mm bore flexi tails that I purchased at the same time. When I tried to undo the preinstalled flexi tails from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock