Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Scalding/dangerous hot water from immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ivrytwr3

We moved into our new home yesterday (1999 build) and found there was no hot water. In the end we contacted the previous owners who informed us the heating is ran by the boiler (working fine) and the hot water is ran by the immersion heater which they left swotched constantly on.

We turned on the immersion heater (top part, as there is a top switch and bottom switch). A short time later we had hot water - yey!

However, at 2am, there was loud bubbling noises coming from the tank and the loft. I immediately turned off the immersion heater and found:

1. Pipe coming from top of immersion too hot to touch.

2. In loft the tank was bubbling like a boiling kettle and steam was coming from it.

3. When i turned on the hot water, it was scalding hot - no kidding, i couldn't touch it (you could have made a cup of tea with the water!)

I drained off some of the water through the taps and fortunatley we are all still alive this morning. I cannot find a thermostat anywhere, so can anyone advise what has happened? Do we need to get an engineer out?

(sorry for questions, but previous owner has not left any instruction manuals for system!)

Here are some pics of the system:

Do not switch it back on the thermostat has gone ,people have died before due to this

there is a thermostat inside the cylinder that has packed up ,they cost about £20 max to buy a new immersion that comes with the resettable stat

as above, but please please dont switch it back on. i have seen tanks melted and boiling water flowing through the ceiling all over somebodys bed, thank god they were not in it at the time.

well i think these was a case a year ago ,best not go down that road, ideally you could get a good sparky to replace the stat and it has to be resettable as this is the law now ,for the exact reason that could have happened,screwfix will do them I think good luck

yes a young child died trough a thermostat failing it caused a round plastic tank to fail thats why new stats now have thermal cut outs i am curious though you must have a way to have hot water of the boiler perhaps its gravity is there a time clock in the house

yes a young child died trough a thermostat failing it caused a round plastic tank to fail thats why new stats now have thermal cut outs i am curious though you must have a way to have hot water of the boiler perhaps its gravity is there a time clock in the house

Without the immersion switches on there is no hot water at all.

A time clock? In the airing cupboard is the timer, but this only appears to control the heating.

Looks like it's a heating only boiler gas man. Does not appear to be any flow/return in the cylinder pick above.

yes i spotted that maybe they are on economy 7 or some cheap tariff ,I would change it over myself but maybe there is a reason why who knows

change it over to what? EON are coming out to change the meter soon.

(when i calle dthem i had to give 5 electric readings! they said a new meter will allow me to remain on my fixed tarrif and only have a day and night reading).

hee hee, mate that means nothing to me! How much? who should do it? Why should i do it?

Next instalment......

at 2am, i switched off the top switch due to the problem. This morning we had no hot water. I then stitched on the bottom switch and a few hours later we have correct temperature hot water.

Should i leave the bottom one switched on and just use the top for quick bursts? Or do you think there is still a problem with the temperature control?

your cylinder is fitted with two immersion heaters, one at the bottom to heat up the cylinder at night when the leccy tarriff is cheap and the one at the top to provide hot water on demand, well kind of!

Do not under any circumstances turn the top one one not even for a nanosecond, it is dangerous and should not be used. It needs replacing before you can consider turning on the top part of cylinder. There is a problem with the termostat inside the top immersion heater, causing it to boil the water inside the cylinder and i bet its boiling out into your cold water storage tank. As it should.

Just in case i didnt mention it, get it replaced!!

Last edited by a moderator:
if you go careful and ration your hot water usage, you can use the lower one to heat up your cylinder at night to provide hot water throughout the day, but when its gone it'll be a while before it gets hot again!

i dont think from what i can see - the boiler has anything to do with HW supply. Im guessing that rather unusually the boiler is for the CH circuit only. Leaving the leccy immersion heaters to heat up the cylinder!

You're not the first to recommend this - ok, so looking at the set up i have, what would this cost and who would do it to link the hot water to the boiler?

you would need a different cylinder (indirect) a 3 port motorised valve,room stat,cyl stat but this would be a safer set up and cheaper to run

how old is ur boiler? and what make is it? me and boss ripped out a system like yours and fitted a combi boiler for 2k. was a giant system tho, and we were there for two days!

if you have the cash you would be better off investing in a combi boiler - the best on the market is a worcester bosch boiler! we have been getting them to 98.7% effecient!

though plumbstop are doing cheap boilers - glow worm i think, however these are B rated boilers and less efficient! stay away from Baxi!!

if you upgrade to combi - you HW pressure to the taps/bath will increase as it will be mains fed!

however if you really want to stay with your current set up - cant think why- other than cash issues, you would be better off going down to city plumbing, or screwfix, b&q and getting a replacement immersion heater, and paying a plumber to fit it, it should only take a hour max to fit and wire up. the options are entirely yours!

ok, i've took the thermostats out and now have 2 x BT7 thermostats. On the net i have found these:

[DLMURL="http://www.theelectricalcompany.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=bt7"]The Electrical Company > The Electrical Company > Electrical supplies[/DLMURL]

Are these OK to use? Or can anyone recommend a better one?

Also, when i took them out, there were 2 wires going into the thermostats, 1 white, 1 grey. When replacing the thermostats does it matter what goes where? ie is it like a 3 pin plug, live, neutral etc?)

I would stop right there and get someone qualified to do the job.

it may be a simple lookng job but if you screw it up you could end up causing alot of damage to either the building or a person through the spillage of scalding hot water.

you should get a plumber in to do this job.

too late now, i'm half way through the job!

I took the thermostats out to have a look at them, sizes any obvious damge, make sure i order the exact replacements etc. My question is, when i get the new ones, i am unsure as to which sides the 2 x wires (white and grey) go into. Is it like a 3 pin plug and they come with a wiring diagram?

Any help/pictures would be very much appreciated.

No one here should or would condone you messing about with electrical connections for which you have little knowledge of.
No one knows how this is wired up without looking at it and doing the relevant electrical checks to confirm it has been done correctly.
This is a bit more involved than sticking a plug on a toaster and has the potential to be more dangerous if done incorrectly.

I'll say it again, call a competent person to finish what you started.

Had an Eon engineer at my place today to change the meters over. I asked if if he did 'private work' and we spoke about changing the thermostats - he said if i could change a plug i could change the theromostat.

And on here and diy.com, people have advised it's a simple task.

My only concern now is, on the thermostats i have taken out, there are 2 x holes/screws for connecting them to the element/tank - and i have 2 x wires, one grey and one white, but there are no markings on the thermostat as to which wire goes where.

So my question is, does it matter which way it is wired, if it does, which goes where!?!

But thanks for the warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scalding/dangerous hot water from immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock