Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss scale inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andekoch

What is the preference out there on either the inline magnetic or electrolytic scale inihibitors?
Would you guys recommend differently if it was for whole house protection as opposed to just boiler protection?
Lets assume London so hard water.

cheers

The electrolytic ones (i presume you refer to the water king sentry type?)

The magnetic ones are a good cheaper alternative.

If it was up to me i would put in a Water softener (not on the drinking water side!) so long as the boiler had a stainless steel heat exchanger, try the 12 month cartridge type fittings.

On the subject of alluminium heat exchangers has anyone actually seen the damage done by using a softener on it?

The problem with those magnetic water softeners seems to be that they are not really proven yet.
They appear to be okay for commercial and industrial work where they are thought acceptable.
But not as yet for domestic with its lower flow rates. The thing is apparently they may work in one house but not in another,due to the temperature of the water and a few other things and so far no recognised water authority seems to have given them their approval.

The electrolytic ones (i presume you refer to the water king sentry type?)

The magnetic ones are a good cheaper alternative.

If it was up to me i would put in a Water softener (not on the drinking water side!) so long as the boiler had a stainless steel heat exchanger, try the 12 month cartridge type fittings.

On the subject of alluminium heat exchangers has anyone actually seen the damage done by using a softener on it?

I was referring to these type, domestic electrolytic (hope the link works):
Hardwater/electrolytic - SESIhttp://www.salamander-engineering.co.uk/products/products_limescale.html

ie non powered electrolytic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to scale inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock