Discuss scale inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andekoch

What is the preference out there on either the inline magnetic or electrolytic scale inihibitors?
Would you guys recommend differently if it was for whole house protection as opposed to just boiler protection?
Lets assume London so hard water.

cheers

The electrolytic ones (i presume you refer to the water king sentry type?)

The magnetic ones are a good cheaper alternative.

If it was up to me i would put in a Water softener (not on the drinking water side!) so long as the boiler had a stainless steel heat exchanger, try the 12 month cartridge type fittings.

On the subject of alluminium heat exchangers has anyone actually seen the damage done by using a softener on it?

The problem with those magnetic water softeners seems to be that they are not really proven yet.
They appear to be okay for commercial and industrial work where they are thought acceptable.
But not as yet for domestic with its lower flow rates. The thing is apparently they may work in one house but not in another,due to the temperature of the water and a few other things and so far no recognised water authority seems to have given them their approval.

The electrolytic ones (i presume you refer to the water king sentry type?)

The magnetic ones are a good cheaper alternative.

If it was up to me i would put in a Water softener (not on the drinking water side!) so long as the boiler had a stainless steel heat exchanger, try the 12 month cartridge type fittings.

On the subject of alluminium heat exchangers has anyone actually seen the damage done by using a softener on it?

I was referring to these type, domestic electrolytic (hope the link works):
Hardwater/electrolytic - SESIhttp://www.salamander-engineering.co.uk/products/products_limescale.html

ie non powered electrolytic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to scale inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hello Please can you help me. My system currently has a salamander inline scale inhibitor (15mm) installed on the mains cold water inlet, this...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
D
Hi, Hoping to get some help with oldish boiler - Worcester 24i RSF. Over the last few years the pressure on the DHW has dropped by about half...
Replies
Views
Ermintrude
E
L
Hey guys. I'm not a plumber, just a guy who's having some trouble with his boiler looking for some impartial advice before any money gets spent...
Replies
Views
D
I have put in a boiler, bog standard Valiant condensing boiler, I have put in quite a few, all with no problem, but a customer asked me about...
Replies
Views
Derrick229
D
C
Hi All, A customer has complained of poor hot water pressure which he believes is due to the hard water he receives. He claims that in the past...
Replies
Views
charliejamesuk
C
Back