Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing off isolation valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
The isolation valve feeding my toilet cistern was leaking. After considerable effort, I was able to lift up the cistern to put an O-ring washer around the top of the inner circle referred to with an arrow in the attached image. Unfortunately, when I let the water through, there was a burst leak. Should I use a flat-ring washer instead? If so how can I get the right size?Should I put the ring at the top or push it down?
A friend suggested using also a jointing compound along with a PTFE tape; If a washer is enough, I won't buy these products

Thank you.

Attachments

• Edited.jpg
    Edited.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 24
Thank you, Shaun.
For the flat washer, would a rubber washer be sufficient or does it have to be a steel washer?
I take it, there is no need to use a jointing compound and/or PTFE tape, right?

Rubber or fibre

No not steel

No doesn’t need any paste ptfe or anything

Hi,
I got the 1/2' Fibre washer today, place it as you can see in the attached images. Unfortunately, still the water leaked out. Any advice, please?

Attachments

• Washer1.jpg
    Washer1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13
The mating metal surfaces that compress the fibre washer need to be clean and smooth and damage free.
Surprised it didn't seal! Did you do up the nut tightly (but not so tight as to damage the plastic thread)?

Prob a bit loose it’s hard to guage with plastic threads best would be to tighten up then turn the water on and tighten slowly until no water is leaking

The mating metal surfaces that compress the fibre washer need to be clean and smooth and damage free.
Surprised it didn't seal! Did you do up the nut tightly (but not so tight as to damage the plastic thread)?
Thanks for your reply. I just put the washer without any cleaning...I upped the nut nicely and smoothly to align with the plastic threads.
I wonder if I have to put a bigger washer to fit inside the nut instead of putting a 1/2" washer at the top of the inner circle of the isolation valve? Should I use a jointing compound along with a PTFE tape?
Cheers

I looked at it again this morning, using PTFE tape and Jointing compound, I kept one Fibre washer as there was not much space for two....Thankfully, the water did not leak out from the joint when I tested it. Many thanks to all of you for your help :)

I looked at it again this morning, using PTFE tape and Jointing compound, I kept one Fibre washer as there was not much space for two....Thankfully, the water did not leak out from the joint when I tested it. Many thanks to all of you for your help :)
Me again...sorry.
If the isolation valve leak is fixed, I am getting now a leak from the plastric nut at the bottom of the fill valve...I checked the nut; it is tightly adjusted. May be it got a bit misaligned as I kept removing and putting back the toilet cistern...any advice please? Thank you

The nut against the cistern ?

Need to remove it all to find out why it’s leaking might be not centred etc

Need to remove it all to find out why it’s leaking might be not centred etc
I did not screw the cistern on the wall or on the toilet seat when letting the water through; doubt this could be a cause. Here is the picture of the inside, an O-rubber seems at the bottom of the valve. The nut seems too tightly adjusted.

Attachments

• InnerFillValve.jpg
    InnerFillValve.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Sealing off isolation valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock