Discuss Sealing off isolation valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
The isolation valve feeding my toilet cistern was leaking. After considerable effort, I was able to lift up the cistern to put an O-ring washer around the top of the inner circle referred to with an arrow in the attached image. Unfortunately, when I let the water through, there was a burst leak. Should I use a flat-ring washer instead? If so how can I get the right size?Should I put the ring at the top or push it down?
A friend suggested using also a jointing compound along with a PTFE tape; If a washer is enough, I won't buy these products

Thank you.

Attachments

• Edited.jpg
    Edited.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 26
Thank you, Shaun.
For the flat washer, would a rubber washer be sufficient or does it have to be a steel washer?
I take it, there is no need to use a jointing compound and/or PTFE tape, right?

Rubber or fibre

No not steel

No doesn’t need any paste ptfe or anything

Hi,
I got the 1/2' Fibre washer today, place it as you can see in the attached images. Unfortunately, still the water leaked out. Any advice, please?

Attachments

• Washer1.jpg
    Washer1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 14
The mating metal surfaces that compress the fibre washer need to be clean and smooth and damage free.
Surprised it didn't seal! Did you do up the nut tightly (but not so tight as to damage the plastic thread)?

Prob a bit loose it’s hard to guage with plastic threads best would be to tighten up then turn the water on and tighten slowly until no water is leaking

The mating metal surfaces that compress the fibre washer need to be clean and smooth and damage free.
Surprised it didn't seal! Did you do up the nut tightly (but not so tight as to damage the plastic thread)?
Thanks for your reply. I just put the washer without any cleaning...I upped the nut nicely and smoothly to align with the plastic threads.
I wonder if I have to put a bigger washer to fit inside the nut instead of putting a 1/2" washer at the top of the inner circle of the isolation valve? Should I use a jointing compound along with a PTFE tape?
Cheers

Reply to Sealing off isolation valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The isolation valve connected directly to our toilet fill valve has started to leak (I assume the washer has deteriorated). I'd like to get a...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
Hi, some advice would be great. I have an Instinct Eco-Mag fitted and it has started to leak from the port that the magnetic tube is removed from...
Replies
Views
Hello, Recently I received an unusually large water bill which led me to the discovery of leaking flush valves. I have two toilets and it turned...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock