Search the forum,

Discuss sewage vent in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sebastienj

Hi,

I recently bought a flat in a building block built 15 years ago. Since I moved in there has been a smell of sewage. After putting silicon on pipes connection the smell was still there. I finally (after making a hole in one of the walls) discovered that the sewage vent was behind this wall. The smell is indeed coming out ofthis vent. After reading websites, my understanding is that this vent should on the outside not on the inside.
I am tempted to close the pipe by replacing the vent with a cap.
I could also make the building management company aware of this. But I am worried that they might stop to close the pipe if I do so. However I understand that these gases are dangerous as they can be inflamable so I am wandering if the management company does not obligation in making this right and fix it. However I do not want to be charge for it.

Can someone advise me?

Many thanks
Seb

Contact the managment company as soon as possible this is dangerous and it is up to them to fix ....if they dont seem bothered contact environmental health department at the local council......oh and welcome to the forum..regards Turnpin:hurray:

Sounds to me like the plumber forgot to put an Automatic Air Vent on the stub stack (AAV)
i think that although this is easily sorted your best bet is to get the maintenance people just to check it is what you say it is.

Seen that before. All boxed in and just an open 4" pipe.

If it is an aav the boxing will need ventilation.

^^^^
i think they need to tell site builders this, we put a soil pipe in with a Durgo on it and they wrap a load of fibreglass round it and then box it in. Don't think that's going to allow much air movement :)

If its flats the stack is possibly vented at the top and you have no durgo?

They need to cut out a hole at the top of the pipe and fit/replace the auto air vents and the put an air vent grill over the hole they have made to ensure the auto air vent can work correctly and can be accessed in the future.

its not uncommon for problems like this to happen. I've even had it where my auto air vents have been removed by other trades to make the boxing fit better around the pipe. All auto air vents should be ventilated and accessible to enable them to be changed.

Thanks for all the responses.
What would happen if I was to replace the vent by a plug?

you may lose your trap seals on your sanitary stinking out the bathroom. A durgo dont cost much more than a cap.

I bought a durgo and it's working nicely. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sewage vent in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
A
Hi there, I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony at one end of the property is connected to a combined water/sewage system with the...
Replies
Views
Amelia
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock