Discuss Should I expect my towel rail (non electric) to be fitted like this in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I agree with Oz, totally unacceptable standard of finish for a chrome towel rail. Just because that's where the pipework was originally does not mean it should not be redone for the next radiator.
However I would always express you concerns with the plumber in a constructive manner, if possible.

I agree with Oz, totally unacceptable standard of finish for a chrome towel rail. Just because that's where the pipework was originally does not mean it should not be redone for the next radiator.
However I would always express you concerns with the plumber in a constructive manner, if possible.
Have done this. He’s having none of it. Says I should have specified but I haven’t seen a towel rail fitted any other way than what I got with the en suite.

Very poor standard of workmanship would he do this in his own home I think not ! Lesson learned communication is vital to avoid awkward situations not all of us are as detailed as others, even the ensuite is not great in my opinion fitted to low and standard copper pipe used looks far better in chrome plated pipe coming out the wall or floor . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824-073524_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824-073524_Photos.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 33
Any decent plumber when quoting for the job would have brought this to the customer's attention when discussing what they want fitted. The customer is the layman the plumber is the professional, simple as that.

Personally i would have just cut the microbore in the wall and converted it inside to 15mm then brought it out in chrome, far neater finish and something that the customer is happy with.

In my opinion it is unacceptable to leave this like it is

People have asked about the price. Did you supply ALL materials used on site except odd bit of pipework, screws, and perhaps some silicone sealant? Was there a written quotation or was the whole thing verbal? Most importantly: are you house or a flat, which town, and is there free parking directly outside?

Regardless of price, however, in the context of the overall project, I think a customer would reasonably expect an 'upgrade' to a towel rail to not have plastic pipe draped across at an angle (asymetrically, at that). I cannot think of many people who would want it as you have it and I personally would only have left it like that if that was clearly what we had agreed.

What I don't understand is why no mention was made of repainting or lack of it - this is the only bit that makes me wonder whether there was not a breakdown in communication that left the plumber thinking you were going to carry out work on the wall at a later state and therefore the towel rail installation is a bit temporary.

even the ensuite is not great in my opinion fitted too low and standard copper pipe used looks far better in chrome plated pipe coming out the wall or floor
Fit the towel rail higher (correct from a towel hanging perspective, but less great if it's the sole source of heat) and some people would think it looks weird. You can't win. I don't like the screw sticking out of the bracket though.

Can everybody just hold on a minute.

Yes we agree none of us would have done it that way.

But it's only half the story.

Was it a quick and cheap job?

I always say it's easy to pull apart other peoples work, and again it is poor, but is it a case of silk purse and pigs ear?

I'll go back to what I said before, communication, solves all problems.

Was it a quick and cheap job?

Well that's what we've been trying to establish. The OP has told us the price but has not been absolutely clear on what was included, or the situation, and whether a detailed quotation was provided, hence my questions in post 22. We don't even know if the existing floor was concrete or whether the plumber had to ply line the floor and provide ply, tile adhesive, grout etc.

Those two elbows behind the radiator valves could at least have been made at the same angle without it being extra effort or cost. So why has the plumber made no attempt whatsoever to make that existing pipe look as neat as it can? Nor does it make sense to fit a towel rail to un-painted wall. Which, as I've said, makes me think the plumber was considering the towel rail to be a temporary fit. I agree there's something that doesn't quite make sense here.

Last edited:
Hi
The plumber was aware I would be painting. I always thought painting would be better done after the bathroom was installed. On the en suite we just about managed to get behind the towel rail to paint and will do again. I did ask if he could include decorating but he said he could not provide. The extent of the written quote was just an email as follows:

To fit your new bathroom suite including,

Removal of all old suite and disposing off site.

Turning the bath so the taps and shower are on the other side making the bathroom flow better.

Overboarding the floor ready for flooring.

All plumbing work

All plastering work

All electrics

New skirting boards

Tiling the bath area and behind the toilet and sink.

As you can see very little detail was provided. Note that floor tiling and replacement of extractor fans in this and our en-suite (to existing positions) was later added.

The floor was plyboard.

Last edited:
Would other plumbers agree that the towel rail cannot be considered to be included in that quote as 'bathroom suite' would not normally include a (heat) emitter?

Reply to Should I expect my towel rail (non electric) to be fitted like this in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back