Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Should my 3 port valve be a 2 port valve? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. coup27

coup27 New Member

Hi,

I bought a house last (built 1988) which had a 3 port valve (Honeywell V4073A), a vented cylinder and 2x tanks in the loft. I had a plumbing company remove the cylinder, 2x tanks and replace it with an pressurised cylinder and filling loop along with new radiators. They chose to keep the existing 3 port valve. That company never actually came back and finished off so I had to get the plumbing company who did my bathrooms to commission and fire up the system. I asked them to check the work done and they never commented on the valve being incorrect.

I've now chosen to have a Honeywell Evohome installed and the person who I found on the Honeywell approved installers list came out and said my value should have been changed to a 2 port valve for safety reasons. He said a 2 port valve is actually supplied with the new cylinder and my first plumber should have fit it. He's given me a quote to install the Evohome but also to supply and fit a new 2 port valve.

Can somebody please help me on which is correct?

Thanks.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes you need to fit a 2 port in either s plan set up or after the 3 port (which is silly in my opinion)

But definitely need a 2 port on the cylinder flow

And also your cylinder needs checking By a G3 engy and registering with building control

3. coup27

coup27 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Could you expand more on this please:

"And also your cylinder needs checking By a G3 engy and registering with building control"

4. ShaunCorbs

If a 2 port wasn't installed what else is wrong best to get it check out by a unvented tech (G3 qualified) and I doubt they have registered it with building control which is a requirement

5. coup27

coup27 New Member

Thanks. I'll look into that. Can I find out myself if my cylinder has been registered with building control?

6. ShaunCorbs

You could phone them up, they should have a record

Also is the benchmark filled in normally in the back of the instructions also it's normally duplicated on the cylinder in short

7. coup27

coup27 New Member

As the first plumber never commissioned the system but the second company did, I suspect neither have filed any paperwork.

I have just located my first plumber on the gas safe register and he does not have a tick for unvented cylinder work. Does this mean he should not have installed it? I cannot find the second company on there.

I was given no paperwork from the first plumber. No instructions for the cylinder and there is nothing on the cylinder.

8. ShaunCorbs

Correct he should not have fitted it if he's not G3 registered, but not all G3 engys are listed on gas safe as you have to send them your qualifications I would phone him up and ask him straight are you G3 registered also what is your reg number

That's a problem I would get someone out to check everything is safe and working correctly

9. coup27

coup27 New Member

To be honest I would rather not ring him. Is there a central body who manage the G3 certification who I can check myself?

Back to getting my Evohome installed, on the Honeywell website it lists many approved plumbers for installing the system but as some of the work is electrical are they still OK to do that? There aren't many plumbing and electrical companies out there.

What I think I need is somebody who is G3 and Honeywell certified to come out and install my Evohome and inspect my cylinder. Fortunately I am not in the house at the moment so all the heating and hot water is off.

10. ShaunCorbs

yes building control if its been registered

11. coup27

coup27 New Member

Thanks for your help.