Search the forum,

Discuss Shower issue now Hot water issue! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_1979

Gas Engineer
Went to a house today to look at a shower running like warm. All other outlets run hot water fine. Took the shower mixer to bits and seems to be the thermostatic cartridge is gone. Drained the hot and cold as normal and on repressuring some of the other outlets are now Luke warm.

Kitchen tap; running red hot, bathroom upstairs tap; red hot. upstairs Bath (previously hot) now cold, ensuite bar mixer (previously hot) now cold. And the shower I went to see still Luke warm. Any ideas?

All I touched was the stop tap, the only thing I thought of is really high cold water pressure overwhelming the hot, bath and showers are all mixers. The stop tap has been dialled right down and the flow on the outlets running slow enough to kick the boiler in and still cold.

It's a pressurised system with a Worcester Bosch combination boiler. Working fine then one drain down and it's all gone Pete tong!!

As an Amatuer guess id say one of the shower mixer valves is kaput and is letting the cold water into the hot pipes. Quick Google on it brings up same problem for other homeowners.

Im interested to see what it actually is though as I have a mixer shower myself. Hopefully one of your fellow pro's will have had this happen before.

Last edited:
When you say drain down you mean cold mains off & open hot and cold taps downstairs?

Did you change the cartridge or just put back together?

Just got back from the gents now. Took his bath panel off and installed an iso. Turns out his cold water pressure had been overwhelming the hot in the bath and two showers. So all sorted now, just weird how it all worked before I drained the hot and cold. Not sure what I triggered but seems to have resolved the issue.

Glad you got it sorted. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, just interested to know incase this issue ever happens to me.

Did you fit an iso to balance the cold water pressure or for another reason?

I mentioned the shower as that was my first thought and then when i Googled it loads of people had the same problem you described. Some replaced the shower to sort it and others fitted check valves to stop the cold getting into the hot.

Cheers

Glad you got it sorted. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, just interested to know incase this issue ever happens to me.

Did you fit an iso to balance the cold water pressure or for another reason?

I mentioned the shower as that was my first thought and then when i Googled it loads of people had the same problem you described. Some replaced the shower to sort it and others fitted check valves to stop the cold getting into the hot.

Cheers
Yeah the ISO was installed to tone down the cold water pressure which was affecting the hot to the bath tap and showers.

FYI if you use an ISO to control the pressure your wrong It will only slow the flow you will actually get more pressure

FYI if you use an ISO to control the pressure your wrong It will only slow the flow you will actually get more pressure

Would you have fitted an in line PRV instead then Shaun even though it has done the job?

As mentioned in another thread I partially closed an isolator on my bathroom sink to reduce the flow as the mixer tap loved to fire the water out of the sink if you fully opened it. One of your fellow professionals informed me that although it solved the problem it would probably lead to a knackered/leaking isolator further down the line.

Im not sure how being partiality turned would cause it to seize and leak though any more than it being fully open and not turned for years like most isolators are. I have had them weep myself when fully open and you try to close it, always annoying!

Yes it would scale and seize up due to the water hitting it square on and you might not be able to close it due to the scale

a pressure reducing valve would have been a better option to balance out the pressures . kop

Would you have fitted an in line PRV instead then Shaun even though it has done the job?

As mentioned in another thread I partially closed an isolator on my bathroom sink to reduce the flow as the mixer tap loved to fire the water out of the sink if you fully opened it. One of your fellow professionals informed me that although it solved the problem it would probably lead to a knackered/leaking isolator further down the line.

Im not sure how being partiality turned would cause it to seize and leak though any more than it being fully open and not turned for years like most isolators are. I have had them weep myself when fully open and you try to close it, always annoying!

These are what you need palhttps://www.savemoneycutcarbon.com/product/wondervalve-inline-flow-restrictor/

Ah I see, something new learned today! Thanks for the explanation Shaun.

People including long time plumbers are often confused about flow rate and pressure and the relationship between the two. You can have very high flow rates with low pressure e.g. a very big outlet with a big feed could be low pressure/high flowrate.

Or you could have a tiny outlet with a small feed but crank the pressure right up to match the flow rates of the scenario above but it'd take your skin off if you showered under it.

People are frequently talking about reducing pressure when they mean flow rate and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower issue now Hot water issue! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hi am wondering if I can get some advice on this issue. Shower was working fine until Saturday when the dial only works when turned to cold water side and hot water side doesn't work. Other shower works fine and all taps have hot water coming out. Just wondering if get some on advice on what...
Replies
Views
hello all, happy new year! i hope i have posted this in the right section i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google search showed some ideas on how to adjust it. i tried adjusting it and it didn't change the temp. when i adjusted it the other way to test the cold...
Replies
Views
I done a straight change from a thermostatic shower to a new mira atom shower,when I run the shower in an upstairs ensuite it runs hot for a few seconds then goes back luke warm,I have a combi boiler,any advice please??.
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was working fine for a coupe of months however now the valve has started misbehaving which is resulting in having to turn the temperature valve round further...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock