Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Shower tray blisters in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a stone resin shower tray which is, admittedly, more than ten years old and I have noticed a line of small blisters that have formed under the surface as shown in the picture. They are each only a few millimetres but their alignment alongside one of the tray contours makes me think it’s not just a random fault with the tray. I’m minded to just leave them as they are hard to see but I’m hoping someone can suggest a cause and possibly a remedy.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Attachments

• 4F076109-4774-4F7A-BEE9-AE083A19A161.jpeg
    4F076109-4774-4F7A-BEE9-AE083A19A161.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 24
The stone resin shower trays I've encountered have a coating layer of acrylic over the stone resin casting. A manufacturing defect or water ingress between the resin and coating can cause blistering but it's not a common problem.

If you know the manufacturer I suggest you contact them for advice.

There are companies that claim to be able to repair/resurface trays and achieve a perfect finish. I suspect that their definition of 'perfect' is a not the same as mine so caveat emptor.

My experience of repairs that I have done myself is not so good on acrylic capped but absolutely undetectable on gel coat, when you can get the correct colour from manufacturer (less and less common nowadays).

But to OP, I wouldn’t worry about it. It appears cosmetic, I suppose if they are in a straight line it may indicate a crack underneath?
I’d just leave it until something happens.

The stone resin shower trays I've encountered have a coating layer of acrylic over the stone resin casting. A manufacturing defect or water ingress between the resin and coating can cause blistering but it's not a common problem.

If you know the manufacturer I suggest you contact them for advice.

There are companies that claim to be able to repair/resurface trays and achieve a perfect finish. I suspect that their definition of 'perfect' is a not the same as mine so caveat emptor.
Thanks for your reply Chuck. I will look for the paperwork otherwise just wait and see before looking into resurfacing. I’m loath to replace it as that would be a major piece of work!

Reply to Shower tray blisters in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock