Discuss Shower tray waste exits onto joist, help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don

First time poster, be gentle!

I've positioned an offset quad shower tray and find that the waste is exiting directly onto one of the joists in the floor (first floor). Moving the tray (low profile) is not an option, what does one do? Is it safe to cut a chunk out of the joist?

Many thanks.

PS I'm a seasoned DIY'er, not a plumber!

I'll probably be shot down in flames for saying this but if it's a resin tray as opposed to a cheap plastic material you're probably fine.

BUT - you have to use common sense. There are rules and regulations about how much you can cut out of joists (and I'm sure you're aware of them judging by your question) but I bet all of us here have either seen a rather iffy situation or possibly even "bent" a rule ourselves on occasion when doing things under the floor.

If you think the joist might need supporting then it probably does and you can purchase metal plates and bolts to strengthen it. If the whole floor looks a little precarious I'd suggest changing it for a version that sits up off the floor on legs. Much better to have a less luxurious looking shower than half a house falling down through lack of support for a shower.

One little tip if you need it - shower wastes are notoriously poorly designed and it's quite easy to have a leak. Make sure you test it properly (ideally in place) before you proceed to the next stage of completing.

I'd suggest changing it for a version that sits up off the floor on legs. Much better to have a less luxurious looking shower than half a house falling down through lack of support for a shower.

One little tip if you need it - shower wastes are notoriously poorly designed and it's quite easy to have a leak. Make sure you test it properly (ideally in place) before you proceed to the next stage of completing.

I agree with this statement

I cant see a problem cutting the joist off short of the wall and putting in a trimmer - a joist at 90 degrees to the other joists which will carry the load of the cut joist to the two adjacent ones. Use builders metalwork to secure. Job done - even without damaging ceiling below I have managed it.

Then leave a trap in the floor to get to waste WHEN it blocks up

centralheatking

Then leave a trap in the floor to get to waste WHEN it blocks up

centralheatking

Hmm, this has me a bit concerned. I've always been able to clear blockages or slow draining with drain cleaner, access to the waste won't be possible once everything is tiles over.

Never ever cut a joist!!!

You can usually buy a base kit and legs for most trays.

15mm ply 4x2 and make a stand - get some of that white sure form plastic board they use for soffits and trim and bend around screwing with white caps.

i would never ever cut a joist deep enough for a trap. or take the tray back and get another.

buy a riser kit for around 50 notes, never cut up joist beyond the regulation amounts/practices, too much can go wrong later on

do not cut the joist,as the other lads have said ways around it,buy a mira flight tray or make a base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower tray waste exits onto joist, help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back