Discuss Smelled gas, called cadent, gas leak detected, do i need to replace the whole pipe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Yesterday morning my partner smelled gas in the flat and called cadent, the gas man came and he was not able to pinpoint where or even if there was a leak inside the flat, he tested the pressure and detected a drop of 1.5 milibar on the 2 minute test so he capped the pipe and said i needed to have it fixed. Worth mentioning that i live on the 5th floor and the meters are in the ground floor.

I then called an engineer and he confirmed that there is a drop of 1.5, but couldn't detect any gas leak inside my flat, he said that the leak must be somewhere else between the ground floor and my flat, also when he was testing we couldn't smell any gas.

He then capped my gas pipe again and said that most likely i'll have to change the piping from the ground floor all the way up to my flat because i reported a smell of gas and by law i now need to prove that my pipe has 0 drop even though a 1.5 drop is within the acceptable levels.

My questions are:
1- Is this true? if the engineer couldn't find a leak inside my flat do i need to replace the whole pipe even though we couldn't smell gas anymore (for all i know the smell we sensed yesterday morning was coming from somewhere else)

2- If i do have to replace the pipe, do i have to pay for it (i have a leasehold on the flat) or does the freeholder have to pay for it?

Thanks,

Where does your gas pipe run inside the property eg just straight to the boiler along the wall etc

Where does your gas pipe run inside the property eg just straight to the boiler along the wall etc
The boiler is attached to the wall that is adjacent to a hallway outside my flat, the pipes run through the ceiling of that hallway, into my flat's ceiling and then straight to the boiler. So i think that there must be less than two meters of that pipe inside my flat.

Any other gas appliances?

Did your engineer isolate the boiler ? And re do the test ?

needs further investigation or to just replace the line as it’s short

Don’t you have an isolators and test point inside the flat ?

Don’t you have an isolators and test point inside the flat ?
I'm far from being an expert in these things, but i think i do, have a look at the boiler. I believe the test point is the thing right next to the red broom stick and the isolator is the yellow lever?

Attachments

• IMG_6936.JPG
    IMG_6936.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 43
Yep did he test from there or the one by the meter ?

not being a clever clogs but your supply from the meter outlet looks like tracpipe so I would imagine there are no joints on the length (that's the whole point of tracpipe and its equivalent) so I would probably say your leak is more than likely on the meter or the boiler. I Amy be wrong but tracpipe is stainless steel and coated in plastic sleeving so any leak on that would be impossible to trace. I suggest you find another gas engineer to try again one who can test each bit separately. to ascertain which part of installation is leaking. if it is on the tracpipe be prepared for an expensive job. It’s a wrap! Gas pipe with an extra sleeve - https://www.phamnews.co.uk/its-a-wrap-gas-pipe-with-an-extra-sleeve/

Reply to Smelled gas, called cadent, gas leak detected, do i need to replace the whole pipe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back