Search the forum,

Discuss Can a gas leak detector help me? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can.

I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime, which is why its been hard to identify 4 plumbers or experts that come over. It does it alot more when i use the small flush button on the toilet as opposed to the big button. Even when its not stinking the house out tho there are areas close to the floor in the b-room where u can get a smell of it, so somein isnt sealing properly and doesnt shut correctly everytime its flushed. 1 plumber just said its really hard as its a smell so couldnt help!

Im wondering if i bought a gas leak reader (capable of detecting methane and h2s) whether it would be sensitive enough to detect the gas in the air after flushing, if i held it right next to the toilet for example. I need to prove its happening before i can claim against my insurance. It stinks so badly i would have thought it would detect something, or am i wrong?

Also could it be the toilet (that was cheap from an online place) or maybe the durgo getting stuck or something?

Please advise if u can!
Thanks

Did you have a bath replaced with a shower tray?

Yes pretty much everything. bath was against side wall now against back wall so 90 degrees to what it was, shower on back wall also, toilet against left side wall rather than against back wall as b4. there used to be a vent pipe going through ceiling, into loft and out roof but plumber told me no longer needed and a durgo was fitted...?

its gonna be super difficult to pin down whats causing it, just hoping its not ripping all the tiles out. For now i just wanted to detect the gas so people cant say im a mentalist!!!! :)

Yes pretty much everything. bath was against side wall now against back wall so 90 degrees to what it was, shower on back wall also, toilet against left side wall rather than against back wall as b4. there used to be a vent pipe going through ceiling, into loft and out roof but plumber told me no longer needed and a durgo was fitted...?

That’s probably your issue you’ve lost your vent you need at least one vent to atmospheres per drain / manhole

That’s probably your issue you’ve lost your vent you need at least one vent to atmospheres per drain / manhole
thats really confused me!! i didnt realise that but i dont get why it wudve been done just using a durgo and no vent? Also Im in a rented place at the mo and they have a new tiled bathroom but theres no vent to outside at all, its all contained within the bathroom...??

I’m guessing they’ve altered / moved the soil pipe and didn’t want to terminate it through the roof

Be too wide spread but it’s definitely a trap issue you could try masking tape over the sink bath outlets to see if that stops it for a day etc

I can tell you from personal experience that one of the gas detectors below will 'sniff out' sewer gas etc very effectively. Bit of a fiddle to operate but it does work. In our case the problem was resolved by replacing a Durgo with a vent to atmosphere. The drainage system ought to have a way of dealing with +ve pressure, which a Durgo doesn't!

I can tell you from personal experience that one of the gas detectors below will 'sniff out' sewer gas etc very effectively. Bit of a fiddle to operate but it does work. In our case the problem was resolved by replacing a Durgo with a vent to atmosphere. The drainage system ought to have a way of dealing with +ve pressure, which a Durgo doesn't!

Thanks so much guys, i appreciate ur advice. What you said basher makes sense to me, we had a durgo replace the old vent to atmos so its likely that we need a vent back sort it out...that also may explain why its a bit inconsistant, sometimes the durgo does its job othertimes it leaks gas thru. Ill get a leak detector and try to get actual evidence. Thank u guys.

Reply to Can a gas leak detector help me? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock