Discuss Smelled gas, called cadent, gas leak detected, do i need to replace the whole pipe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

both, but the pressure drop shows when he tests on the one by the meter.

did he close the valve to the left of the boiler ?

not being a clever clogs but your supply from the meter outlet looks like tracpipe so I would imagine there are no joints on the length (that's the whole point of tracpipe and its equivalent) so I would probably say your leak is more than likely on the meter or the boiler. I Amy be wrong but tracpipe is stainless steel and coated in plastic sleeving so any leak on that would be impossible to trace. I suggest you find another gas engineer to try again one who can test each bit separately. to ascertain which part of installation is leaking. if it is on the tracpipe be prepared for an expensive job. It’s a wrap! Gas pipe with an extra sleeve - https://www.phamnews.co.uk/its-a-wrap-gas-pipe-with-an-extra-sleeve/
Trouble is you cant know whats happened along its length, could have a fitting, could have a screw through it, could have rubbed on something over the years and have a small hole.
If there is a drop and smell of gas has been reported it has to be capped until repaired/replaced

Well then your buggered it’s the trac pipe line or fittings did he spray the fittings either end with fluid ?

Well then your buggered it’s the trac pipe line or fittings did he spray the fittings either end with fluid ?
yes he did and he didn't get any bubbles. So we need to replace the whole trac pipe all the way from the ground floor? is it true that it needs to be replaced by law because i reported it? and last question, could you give me a ball park figure in £ on what i'd be looking at? 1000? 5000? 10000? 20000?

Correct unless you can find the leak might be worth just pressure testing the trac pipe as a last resort

And it’s off because you have reported a smell of gas and there’s a drop

couldn’t as there’s a load of factors

You might kick yourself for reporting it but there is a leak and it need fixing.

are you sure the pipes don’t go into a service void?

by law i now need to prove that my pipe has 0 drop even though a 1.5 drop is within the acceptable levels.
There is no drop allowed on pipe work only (once appliances are isolated). That's why it cannot be left on.
Is the pipework accessible as scott mentioned? e.g. service duct.

Trouble is you cant know whats happened along its length, could have a fitting, could have a screw through it, could have rubbed on something over the years and have a small hole.
If there is a drop and smell of gas has been reported it has to be capped until repaired/replaced
That’s why I said to test each section and fully determine whether it is the tracpipe spent many years doing trace and repairs on domestic and commercial

The traction without fittings will cost approx £300 for 30 metres plus new fittings then cost of removal of old and fitting of new. Depends on where the pipes run, and what access there is.

It has a leak on what is considered pipework only. It has to be identified. I would be capping off the isolation valve in the flat and testing against that at this point, from the meter end. Also making certain there are no leaks around the meter. If there is a leak on the run up to the flat it needs testing where it can be accessed (I would use a Gasco Seeker) and failing that it will need to be replaced.

You might kick yourself for reporting it but there is a leak and it need fixing.

are you sure the pipes don’t go into a service void?
I don't know to be honest, all i see are individual pipes coming off each meter in the meter room, they all go through the roof and then i see one of those pipes coming into my boiler.

Reply to Smelled gas, called cadent, gas leak detected, do i need to replace the whole pipe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back