Search the forum,

Discuss Soil pipe connections (replacing old) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nige1B

Hi all,

hope you can help!

I'm updating my bathroom and having broken through a wall that I'm replacing have found a small drip I didn't know I had (see pic point 1).

Looks like the previous owner temp fixed by putting a load of solvent over the top of the joint. It's so small that it probably would never have been noticed.

As well as replacing this section, I want to do a proper job and put a new 90 degree connector into the branch on the soil stack.

My questions though are:

1. The branch into the soil stack looks like it is a push fit...as it's going to be quite an old piece is it risky to trust the seal as it already looks like it isn't perfect (point 2 on the pic) with 'browning' around the connection.

2. If the seal on the branch connection is no good, how do I fit pipe to it (I don't want to have to replace the branch in the stack). Is there a solvent weld solution as this will be fairly inaccessible once I box back in?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Nige

PS apologies if any of the terminology inst quite right...I hope you can understand what I'm on about.

Attachments

• Soil pipe replacement.jpg
    Soil pipe replacement.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 86
Looking at your pic, are you sure that the pipe is going INSIDE the bend and not glued to it's outside? If it's going into a ring seal socket, most likelyit either doesn't have full slip past the O ring or the end of the pipe hasn't been chamfered properly and it's dislodged the O ring.

If I was doing it, I'd remove the bend and the section of pipe going into it and renew it back to the branch. I know its more work, but at least you'll get peace of mind that it's been done correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like old Key Terrain to me. Mostly solvent weld but you could get adaptor collars to turn a solvent socket into a push fit. I would favour using push fit around the WC as there is a lot of movement on the pan and stack. You can still get it made by Polypipe.

Guys, thanks for the resposnes. Apologies for the lack of immediate response - have been without broadband while Sky / BT decide who's issue it is!

Will have a quick look over comments and come back with any further Q's once back up and running (quickly able to borrow a connection just now).

Cheers,

Nige

Well the stright pice of pipe is not in the bend , looks like they have heated it up and pushed it over the bend, you may be lucky and be able to get the old bend out of the branch , if so clean up inside of branch and fit new bend.

UPDATED(+ new pic)...Re: Soil pipe connections (replacing old)

...so after a large delay, I've gotten around to replacing the connection into the stack (push fit Polypipe 90 degree + solvent weld straight and then push pan connector). All dead easy and working fine (result!).

New pic attached.

Having pushed the 90 degree connector all the way into the stack connector (up to the 'shoulder') my new pan is about 30mm closer to the side wall than it was before.

My question is, does the 90 degree connector need pushing in all the way or can it be part inserted...so I can get my 30mm back. This would give me a 380mm centre to the side wall.

Or...do I need to insert straight piece of pipe into the stack and then a double socket bend (can only see 92.5 deg), to give me the distance I want?

Thanks.

Nige

Attachments

• Replaced pipes.jpg
    Replaced pipes.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil pipe connections (replacing old) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s. Pulled out the old waste from the boss and discovered the seal is pretty knackered, hardened and cracked everywhere (red coloured seal in the photo)...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock