Discuss Solar panel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucly

hi, im from Romania and here all the pipe connections for solar panels for dhw are braze or press fitting , i hard that sum plumbers in Europe special on the petrol platforms use soft welding ([FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Soldering)???IS IT POSSIBLE ? :confused:

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Of course it's possible! Why not? When done properly, a soldered joint with copper pipes will last many years.

Hi, Solar is mainly used in this county to heat domestic hot water (DHW) and most systems are supplied with most fittings because of the very, very high temperatures that can be created within a solar panel, after all the sun is the most powerful heat source in the universe. It is not recommended to use soft soldered joints because of this reason! If soft solder is used before the exchange coil there is a chance of the joint sweeting and becoming compromised or detached. But most systems are kit based so you should not have this problem! Nearly all kits are supplied with annealed pipe and not just because its easy to work with but because of 'linear expansion of materials' and the fact that most plumbers prefer not to work with low carbon steel pipe (LCS) in a domestic setting.
Buster

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it's possible! Why not? When done properly, a soldered joint with copper pipes will last many years.

Clearly Alanka has not attended a solar course otherwise he would not be giving the wrong answer!

Thats the trouble with these internet forums with anonymous posters, you have no way of knowing if they are qualified or not!

At least Buster realises the temperatures can get very high and he knows that soldered connections are not permissable but he then suggests that plastic and pushfit connections are better! I am sure that on reflection he will realise that plastic fails just over 100° whereas soldered copper can stand 300° !

Solar panels should only be connected with compression joints! Silver soldered or brazed joints would also be acceptable but are not usually practiced for heating in the UK.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, Agile! Apologies for misleading the forum -- indeed I have not attended a solar course, so I should not have made the comments I did.

I presumed that solar pipework, though able to get very hot indeed, would not reach anything like 300*C, and so would not affect a soft soldered joint. It is surprising isn't it!

Surely it would not get any hotter than the 82 degrees most boilers can reach i mean all the safety devices in terms of thermostats are there to make sure that the water in pipe work NEVER gets past 95 degrees celcius. This being because under pressure its possible for water not to turn to steam until way past 100 degrees celcius and if someone opened that temp water to atmophere they would probably die as it would instantly turn to steam. So it cannot be for temperature reasons there must be another reason for not using soft solder.

The water in a solar hot water system can get a lot hotter than that. Soft solder can fail at the high temperatures and pressures. Only compression or hard solder joints should be used.

most of the big solar comps use soldered fittings but not within 3 meters of panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar panel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock