Discuss Soldered Joints Rough / Grainy Finish at top of Joint (Lead free Solder & Mapp) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just got back to the office and the pics open now :D

That’s defo the solder

Change the solder you should be golden

About this

DB1000A3-674C-4E9F-A9D3-9B246ADD13BA.jpeg

OK I think I'm now sorted many thanks everyone :)

All following with Laco flux. Pics are all Hi-Res.

First tried turning Superfire2 (Mapp) right down to point it is tricky to relight (and hardly any bright blue flame). Took a long time to heat the joint, and ended up with blueing(?) under the joint, and poor solder finish again:

Photo by Roy_6666

. . . Torch also getting hot (not melting though :) like the large turbine tip).

Also tried Propane/Butane mix on nice low setting, but again poor joint finish with non-leaded solder.

So switched to Lead and with the Superfire2 (small jet/tip) on a low setting, but some bright blue, and at a level that it will relight ok:

Photo by Roy_6666

Finally got a good result.

In following picture the Leaded one is at the bottom of the picture. Please ignore the right hand side joint on the fitting because I went back and dabbed on a bit more solder there out of interest (Compare all the left hand joints)

Photo by Roy_6666

So, many thanks I think I'm now "good to go" on my project next week, and got enough Lead left to do that, and a few more practice joints.

In future if I try non-leaded again at some point where would you recommend I buy from please. Similarly if I need more lead what would you recommend.

Many thanks,

Roy

P.S. I'd like to post my project separately, but any chance of being able to add the pictures properly in-line now. Is there someone I can ask for that now.

Needs to be unleaded if it’s beung used on water

You should see upload a file by the post reply button

Needs to be unleaded if it’s beung used on water

My first project (for a good few years) is the feed to the downstairs loo, so I hope I'd be forgiven for using lead one last time, also the rest of the 1995 house is I guess done with lead (Although I'm sure using lead anywhere on the cold system is strictly still against the regs for anyone confused).

However I do want to move on to sinks so thats why I was having a go with lead free. I'll try to get to screwfix on Saturday and get some Fernox lead free solder if that sounds ok.

Thanks,

Roy

Needs to be unleaded on mains water

As far as I’m aware mate. You haven’t been able to use leaded solder on any pipework connected to your drinking water since the mid 1980’s you should not be using that on pipework in you house apart from heating or gas pipework.

Reply to Soldered Joints Rough / Grainy Finish at top of Joint (Lead free Solder & Mapp) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Don't laugh... (too much) We have a white mixer tap (20yrs old now) it needs replacing and I bought a very similar one yesterday.. it came with...
Replies
Views
Admins: Apologies: Can you please change post title to "Part 2" This post just for interest/comment so please only read if you have spare time...
Replies
Views
I've done a few sweated joints in my time, but probably not for 20 years (yes, I'm old), & have always used yorkshire fittings. Looking around the...
Replies
Views
I have just spent the most enjoyable 2 hours this afternoon. I have never laughed so much for ages looking at the photos. I have got as far as...
Replies
Views
S
I have been using the presoldered joints for a while, usually with no issues. Recently I have had a series of bad joints on a hot water pipe. Am I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock