Discuss Soldering commercial pipe sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Just been to look at my first job working on a hotel. A leak on a 35mm hot water downpipe where it tees off to 28mm.

I have actually never soldered anything larger than 28mm before to be honest. Is 35mm and larger soldered the same way, but just running the blowtorch around the fitting slowly to move the solder round? I guess these pipes are too big to heat in just the one place a bit like 28mm.

Any other tricks for working on 35mm or larger pipes? Do you get 35mm and larger circular pipe slices? Any info on tools to work with them from the commercial bods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solder up to 42mm normally with map gas, I usually braze / silver solder 54mm and above.

I use a recip saw in pipes upto 4" including steel. My recip is actually quicker than u think. I use it on all copper over 28mm.
Soooooo much faster than a cutter. Also pipes not burred.

35mm u can get just like a 28mm just a fed seconds longer. I always use flux brushes as on a bigger pipe it's important to spread flux as it won't run the same. Clean pipe and clean fitting. I use solder ring / Yorkshire on all pipework.

Normal butane on sf2. Wipe in flux as it's heating

Exactly the same principle as normal soldering, you just need to make sure you spread the heat around the fitting to allow to solder to flow all the way into the joint.

Do you guys charge the same prices for commercial work? There seems to be a lot less plumbers that do commercial work here in Lincoln hence my question.

I use a recip saw in pipes upto 4" including steel. My recip is actually quicker than u think. I use it on all copper over 28mm.
Soooooo much faster than a cutter. Also pipes not burred.

35mm u can get just like a 28mm just a fed seconds longer. I always use flux brushes as on a bigger pipe it's important to spread flux as it won't run the same. Clean pipe and clean fitting. I use solder ring / Yorkshire on all pipework.

Normal butane on sf2. Wipe in flux as it's heating

I imagine a Fein cutter would make a neat job of pipes up to 54mm.

But you would need to hold it and rotate tube? Never really used one. We used to have a rigid one with a clamp but a subby made off with it. I just use my chord less one. Put tube against backstop and through you go

Do you guys charge the same prices for commercial work? There seems to be a lot less plumbers that do commercial work here in Lincoln hence my question.

No freking way, commercial is 60% more expensive(e.g we work on £25 p/h for domestic £40 p/h for comercial/industrial)

Always charge more for commercial work.

I use a recipe saw or adjustable cutters soldering 35mm will have no issues ,regarding rates upwards of 30 quid per hour . I would check your insurance tho as small print may not cover this work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering commercial pipe sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I've just joined, was going to post in the new members forum, but the first site generated email sent me here... I am here, as have a...
Replies
Views
Ok I have been dealing with this problem for over a year and finally have to ask for some help as backflushing every 2 weeks or so is getting very...
Replies
Views
Just to be really clear I will not be doing any of the work mentioned below. This will all be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers. I'm looking to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. As some of you here know I don’t do plumbing work, 99% of my knowledge lies within oil fired heating so forgive me if this is a stupid...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock