Discuss Stainless steel hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cowboy Pete

Three years ago I installed a new 50 gallon cold water tank in my loft on a platform 54 inches above the ceiling and a new stainless steel 140 litre hot water cylinder which had 22mm welded flanges for inlet and outlets.

I then built a shower room in a spare bedroom fed by a Salamander CT50 pump. I made a special outlet for the shower by cutting a 22mm hole in an immersion heater blanking plug and soldering a 22mm copper pipe which extends 150mm into the hot water cylinder. From this I used 22m plastic pipework to the Salamander pump sited in the loft above the shower room and included an anti gravity loop as per the instructions.

Now when my wife runs her bath the hot water will not feed the shower. I know the instructions say the feed to the hot tank must be 28mm in this situation but this is not possible.

[FONT=&quot]Would running 28mm pipe from the cold tank to the 22mm inlet using a reducer at the hot tank help or would using copper pipe instead of plastic solve the problem ?[/FONT]

and did you get a negative head pump aswell?

The hot water cylinder is on the first floor not in the loft.
I do not understand about a "negative Head pump". The instructions for the Salamander show it can be installed in the loft with an anti gravity loop from the outlet of the hot tank. It recommends installation near the hot water cylinder but this is not possible in my house.

The water needs to flow through the pump to activate the switch inside so the pump would engage. By the sounds of it you got negative pressure so the switch never activates = no hot water. you can buy a negative head pump or move the existing pump down so you achieve a positive head. See manual for the pump. My guess 2m should be enough.

The hot water cylinder is on the first floor not in the loft.
I do not understand about a "negative Head pump". The instructions for the Salamander show it can be installed in the loft with an anti gravity loop from the outlet of the hot tank. It recommends installation near the hot water cylinder but this is not possible in my house.

you need a negative head pump if your not installing it by the cylinder no ifs or buts

and this is from the Salamander manual

identifiction.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought that a negative head pump was for when the shower outlet was higher than the cwsc regardless of the pump position. Shows what i know!

I always thought that a negative head pump was for when the shower outlet was higher than the cwsc regardless of the pump position. Shows what i know!

yes and no for a normal pump, you still need gravity pressure coming through the pump and the pump turns on via a flow switch,

negative head pump senses pressure drop when a tap, shower valve, etc. is opened. and the pump starts up

if you mount the pump in the loft you wont get any flow through it as its on nearly the same level of the cwsc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stainless steel hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock