Search the forum,

Discuss Steel Bath damaged? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Macca2009

Hi everyone, just wondering if any of you had come across this one before. I fitted a steel bath for a customer about 2 month ago. Now I'm not daft when it comes to fitting these, and when I bought it from Plumb Centre. I made sure that they were no chips or marks on the bath. I fitted it and It has been ok till yesterday when the customer rang me up. She has informed me that a chip has appeared and the enamel has come away from the bath. She said it was like a hairline at first but has now trebled in size. She has not dropped anything on it and is worried about it getting bigger and wants me to see if its covered on the manufactures warranty. How will it stand with the manufacture if its been fitted and there wasn't any visible damage when I bought it? Anyone had this before???????

cheers

The chip situation i've came across before, It shouldnt expand to the depth were it will cause a leak!, unless the customer actually applys direct abnormal force to the area.

I would recommend you have a word with Plumb centre and see what they have to say regarding warranty and also to compensate your time & labour to fit it, to your customers premises.

In the time being just re-assure your customer!

Contact plumb center and explain the problem see what they say. possible the customer has dropped something!!!

Good luck with this one - when I've been in this sort of situation it's always with smaller items and it's easiest and cheapest just to fork out and take the hit.

I think you should get Plumb Centre involved. You didn't see anything when it was installed and the customer didn't see anything. Now there is and this presumably is a manufacturing fault (or customer damage?) You should be able to get away with paying for anything as there was nothing evident when you fitted it or finished the job.

The steel baths can be tempremental. If there was a hairline crack that wasn't visable on first inspection then over time, from the flex of the tub when it is used, can get worse but this usally takes alot longer then two months. If the crack is near tile work then it could be that the tile is to tight to the tub and caused a stress fracture. Good luck on getting any help from the manufacturer or Plumb Centre after it has been installed for two months. Sorry mate but sounds like your in a pickle on this one. Been my experience that the customers memory seems to blank when finnishes get damaged.

fit acrylic in future ,they can be rubbed back with small marks as said really genuine fault or a fast one being pulled

used a bath repair company on a large job in London one time, their chip repairs were invisible and guaranteed, might be worth considering as a last resort

Agreed, I would ask the customer to go 50/50 with you in having the bath repaired by a pro.

Customer of mine chipped his shower tray a week after it was finsihed with tiles all around it. So we organised a guy to go in and spray it. Amazing, you wouldn't know it was damaged. Cost them ÂŁ150.00.

I don't know how these fella fix these things, but they're brilliant, I'd enquire about it. If you were local to me (Tunbridge Wells) I'd give you my guys number.

Cheers everyone, will have to google bath repairs in Leeds. Going to call at the customers tomorrow evening if i get time and take a photo. That way I can show it the the plumb centre. Luckily the one I use have their own bath showroom so might get more joy from them. Will update any progress.

Cheers all.

Yeah go round yourself and suss it out, photos will be a good idea as well. Look above and around bath for shelving where something could have fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Steel Bath damaged? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming through the bedroom wall from the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The shower is over the bath and the bathroom walls are tiled around three sides of...
Replies
Views
Hi all Please can someone help me throw some light on a problem I have and how I can resolve it? I have changed my electric shower (Triton T80 GSI 10.5KW) from a standard handset to a Ibergrif diverter with handset and rain head. Please see pictures attached. However upon installation the...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all. Apologies if this is not the right forum to post my question. I recently purchased a house which had water leaking from the shower tray into the room below. It wasn't too bad but I could see the water marks in the ceiling. Since I'm not from the area, I got a few plumber recommendations...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock