Search the forum,

Discuss Stupid Chinese thing... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi guys, I've got a customer (landlord) who wants me to sort out the shower in a rented property.
It seems that a thermostatic cartridge has gone from the symptoms I have heard. The shower is a cubicle with radio, lights, 8 side spray heads, a fixed rainfall head and a normal shower in there. Couple of grands worth, not a label or name or sticker on the thing to identify it, all he knows is 'it's Chinese'.
He has tried a couple of replacement thermostatic cartridges but no joy, after seeing one of the ones he tried I'm not surprised as it was totally different to the one that came out.
Anyway, I have found what I think is the right cartridge for him and I'm going to try it this week, thing is, he wants the shower to be usable (not fixed totally - just usable) if this cartridge doesn't work. As long as the temperature of water is comfortable and steady he is happy. His tennant might start to withold rent if this is not fixed so he's desperate.
Would a TMV on the feeding pipework give this solution? It is fed in 22mm and is pumped so I'm thinking just 1 TMV might restrict the flow, would it help to fix 2 of them in parallel? He's not bothered about the rainfall head working or the side jet things as long as the tennant can just have a shower. So I might be turning off all the outlets except for the normal shower head in there.
This is one of those jobs where I wish I'd said 'Sorry mate, I'm booked up til June' ;)

think I'd put the ball back in his court and tell him can't help unless he can supply the make & model of the cubicle - imo it's not worth bodging a fix.

As you have already said you could put a tmv on it I wouldn't think you will have any problems with the pressure if it's pumped the main thing is that it's going to be a fixed temp as in a shower block set up Tennant might not be impressed.

Thanks for the responses, to be honest he originally said he wanted the TMV and I convinced him to try a new thermo cartridge that I'd choose first.
Fingers crossed that it works with the new cartridge, if not I will be putting the ball in his court and mentioning any concerns on the invoice.
Thanks again guys.

Well I changed the cartridge and no joy, either boiling or freezing. I was 100% sure it was the right cartridge so wasn't going to give in.
3 hours later I found the problem.
Can anyone guess what it was?

Had a Bristan and supposedly had a thermostatic problem which the merchant replaced for a plumber who returned it so new cartridge etc fitted in front of me. Customer needed this shower desperately. Fitted it with complete bathroom and all seemed fine. Got a call a few days later and problems....in the end after taking it apart the NRV in the hot elbow had been fitted in backwards.....it must have been jamming open.

I once had a panel shower like this leaking. Removed the panel to find all the connections were garden hose and jubilee clips. Get shut of it.

I once had a panel shower like this leaking. Removed the panel to find all the connections were garden hose and jubilee clips. Get shut of it.

I had to pull it away from the wall to swap the feeds over, you're right - once I could see behind it, it was all hoses and jubilee clips. Not something I'd like in my house.

TC Bathrooms used to make a fair few of these. Does it look like this?

delaci_7154.jpg

They've gone bust now, mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stupid Chinese thing... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic...
Replies
Views
D
Our master bath shower had two shower heads. One was leaking/dripping so our plumber changed both cartridges since he was already there. That...
Replies
Views
DianaCali
D
Hi I'm looking for a replacement thermostatic cartridge for this shower which was purchase in 2018 from Victorian Plumbing. The stock code was...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have a negative head twin impeller Stuart Turner pump feeding hot and cold to three showers, one bath, plus hot to three basin's from my gravity...
Replies
Views
Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock