Discuss System Circulator Advice Required - Four Storey House in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snodge

I have a new-build property with underfloor heating on four floors. The boiler is in the basement, and the height between the basement circulator and the top floor manifold is around 6.5m. I estimate the total potential flow of the UFH system at 75 litres / minute based on the settings of the various flow gauges on the UFH manifolds (it's a big house). The supply loop from the boiler to the manifolds is 25mm. The problem I have is that under high demand (around 50 litres / minute - I don't heat some of the rooms) I can't get the heat to the upper two floors until the lower floors are satisfied and some zones shutdown. Example on recent testing being 45 degrees basement manifold, 45 ground floor, 40 first floor, 35 second floor.

The circulator that has been fitted by the builder's plumber is a Selectric 15-60 130, running at speed 3. I've checked the specs of this circulator - am I right in thinking it is woefully under-specified to meet peak demand?

The manifolds have their own circulators, Selectric 15-50 130, running at speed 1. Changing the speed of these doesn't make any difference to the problem.

I have suggested to the builder that something like the Magna 25-100 would be more suitable to cope with full demand and provide the necessary head. Am I heading in the right direcction with this suggestion, or is it over specified?

Any advice would be appreciated so that I can point the builder in the right direction of what needs doing to sort it.

A 15/60 is only good for a 6m head I would say you would need a 25/80 (8m head) but if you ring grundfoss they will tell you exactly.

A 15/60 is only good for a 6m head I would say you would need a 25/80 (8m head) but if you ring grundfoss they will tell you exactly.

Thanks for the reply. I've just had a look at the performance graph for the 25/80 and at 1.25 l/s (75 l/m) it can only manage 5m head. That's why I suggested the Magna 25/100 which looks like it can do 7.5m at that flow rate. As you say, Grundfos will be able to give a definite answer, was just hoping to get my facts right about the cause of the problem so I can point the builder in the right direction.

I didnt look at the graph but you are absolutely right a 15/60 is out of the question

Awful builder if you have to do his job for him IMHO

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Awful builder if you have to do his job for him IMHO

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

To be fair to him he's being helpful over it - they're only a low volume local builder and my house is an exception to what they normally build. The plumber has been twice to have a look at things but I think the size of the system and the head requirement are a bit out of the ordinary to the his normal work. He did say to me that the 15-60 was what he normally fitted to UFH sytems - it's not until you start to add up the peak flow requirement that you realise how inadequate it is.

Well it sounds like you have a good relationship with him but wouldn't you expect him and his plumber to be doing the donkey work? After all you're paying them... ;)

I'd be going with what you have said grundfos magna 25-100 as there modulating set it to auto adapt
I'd also be going for alpha pumps on the manifolds
If you can I'd love to see some pictures of the set up they have gave you

The boiler is in the basement, and the height between the basement circulator and the top floor manifold is around 6.5m. I estimate the total potential flow of the UFH system at 75 litres /minute based on the settings of the various flow gauges on the UFH manifolds.
1. The distance from the circulator to the top floor manifold is completely irrelevant to the required pump head. The head delivered by a pump is the pressure it supplies to overcome the friction within the pipes, which depends on the size of pipe and the flow rate through the pipe. You can work out the head by using the instructions in Copper Tubes in Domestic Heating Systems

2. A flow rate of 75 litres/min is equivalent to a 104kW boiler, assuming a 20C differential. Are you sure you have this right?

1. The distance from the circulator to the top floor manifold is completely irrelevant to the required pump head. The head delivered by a pump is the pressure it supplies to overcome the friction within the pipes, which depends on the size of pipe and the flow rate through the pipe. You can work out the head by using the instructions in Copper Tubes in Domestic Heating Systems

2. A flow rate of 75 litres/min is equivalent to a 104kW boiler, assuming a 20C differential. Are you sure you have this right?

Thanks for explaining 1. - I'll read up on it.

Regarding 2. - its a 12kw ground source heat pump, feeding a buffer tank, which then feeds the system. Supply is 45C, return is around 8C lower. The boiler has been sized for the property's peak heat loss of 17.5kw, with the addition of a gas boiler connected to the buffer tank to cover the shortfall at peak demand. The figure of 75 litres/min is what I have totalled up from the current settings of the flow gauges on the UFH manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System Circulator Advice Required - Four Storey House in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock