Search the forum,

Discuss Thermal Store cylinder noisy in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I moved to my flat 3 years ago and I noticed since then than the hot water thermal store cylinder is noisy (kettle noise) when the heating element is on (around 2 hours a day during economy 7 hours)
This wasn't a problem before since it is located far from the main bedroom but now, we have a baby and his room will be close to the cabinet where the thermal store cylinder is located.

Thermal Store cylinder details:
  • Telford copper cylinder tristor 210 litres. I guess from where the flat was build early 2000.
  • has 2 heat elements (3kw each). 1 connected to economy 7 and the other one connected to high tariff for boots porpuse.

Is there a way to reduce the noise of the thermal store cylinder? i.e. adding something to the thermal liquid.

Thanks

Andres

One option is to replace the economy 7 immersion with a "low watt density" version. Not necessarily lower power, but the idea is to have a bigger surface area of element in contact with the water, and at a lower temperature, which is supposed to reduce the 'kettling' noise.

If you find something to put in the thermal store water, I would check with Telford they would be happy with you using it.

Loud kettling can be caused by limescale build up, if you live in a hard water area then maybe just changing the element will cure the problem as normal element heating noise is (in my case anyway) hardly noticeable.

Loud kettling can be caused by limescale build up, if you live in a hard water area then maybe just changing the element will cure the problem as normal element heating noise is (in my case anyway) hardly noticeable.
Thanks for the reply.
I think the thermal store cylinders does not suffer from limescale issues since always uses the same water (or liquid, not sure what is inside) in the cylinder to store the heat, but correct if I am wrong.
I do live in a hard water location.
Thanks

One option is to replace the economy 7 immersion with a "low watt density" version. Not necessarily lower power, but the idea is to have a bigger surface area of element in contact with the water, and at a lower temperature, which is supposed to reduce the 'kettling' noise.

If you find something to put in the thermal store water, I would check with Telford they would be happy with you using it.
Thanks for the reply, I will check this option but first i need to know what type of heating elements the Thermal Store cylinder has.
Would I need to empty the cylinder to replace the heating elements?
Thanks

The immersion is 14” 3kw with a 2 1⁄4” boss. The manufacturers replacement is part no. SHELINK14TRI, which maybe is what you still currently have. Just replacing it would probably make it a bit quieter for a while. You would need to drain the tank to do that, and when topping it up should add the liquid inhibitor that's supposed to be there.
It's only the lower element that would be making noise at night. Don't need to do the upper one unless there is a noise problem on boost (if you use it).

As an example, there is a "low watt density" equivalent immersion here: 14" - XT Maxistore Low Watts Density Domestic Immersion Heater - 3KW - XT209 - https://www.advancedwater.co.uk/prod-232-255-1406.html
Would be wise to check with the cylinder manufacturer - they might have a preferred alternative.

Do you actually have economy seven ? , i.e Two readings on your electric bill .
A lot assume they have economy seven because it says so on the programmer .

Reply to Thermal Store cylinder noisy in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My heating system comprises an Ideal Logic 12 boiler located downstairs and a Gledhill OV SOL cylinder located upstairs . The problem is that when the Gledhill controls for the “hot water” and “central heading” are turned on the Ideal boiler makes a constant “clicking” noise and tries to start...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry bit of an odd query here. With the increases in energy costs now and in the future we are trying to find any way to reduce our exposure (retired couple on fixed incomes). We are fortunate enough to have bought solar panels at the beginning of the year but as we head towards winter the...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry to bother you all with this but I am really struggling to find a suitable combi-boiler replacement and a knowledgeable heating engineer to discuss options. Ive tried to note as much relevant details below - apologies if its too long or irrelevant. Any help most gratefully received...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm searching for advice on my new system being fitted into a very old stone house in France. We have purchased a thermflow 300L thermal store with a built-in expansion tank to work with multiple heating inputs (solar, electric and wood burning stove boiler). We are running 7 rads...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock