Currently reading:
Thermal store Which one?

Discuss Thermal store Which one? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul1801

Hi all,
Im looking at starting a self build next year and Im thinking of the following spec for the heating and hot water,

The house will be two and a half storey,

ground floor will all have wet underfloor heating, a wood burning stove in the living room (probably only used in winter) with a back boiler, rated at maybe 5kw space heating and 10kw hot water.

Radiators to both second and third floors.

Main boiler will be gas.

I have read lots on thermal stores so I know the above can be linked, my question is does anyone have any experience of using these?

What is the cost of buying one (some on heatweb + accessories seem to work out at about £4000) !!

The water pressure will be about 24 l/m so Im not too interested in flow rates above this.

any help appreciated

thanks

P

I have fitted both the Newark copper cylinders thermal store and also McDonald Engineers thermal store, there is not a lot to choose between the two. I prefer both over Gledhill

I fitted an albion last year and that was a pretty good one .

I fitted an albion last year and that was a pretty good one .
Albion Mainsflow? I think it is a very expensive grade 3 cylinder, with a microbore coil. The coil is soft copper, so if the PRV fails, coil ruptures, hot water out of overflow (often plastic!) & whole tank is scrap. Direct type gathers sludge & cylinder base rots through.

stay away from gledhill i currently have 5 of there thermal stores in the garage waiting to be scrapped due to them rotting and they are from a relativly new build development not more then 12 years old. not to mention the others already pulled out this year from similar developments. lovely bit of scrap once all the lagging is off though £150 a pop:wink:

stay away from gledhill i currently have 5 of there thermal stores in the garage waiting to be scrapped due to them rotting and they are from a relativly new build development not more then 12 years old. not to mention the others already pulled out this year from similar developments. lovely bit of scrap once all the lagging is off though £150 a pop:wink:
That's what I think can only happen to direct copper thermal stores. Any slight corrosion or whatever, going around pipework, will fall to the bottom of the store for certain. So they are just " dumps for sludge " & will rot quick. Sorry to be so negative about copper stores , but I am afraid they are on death row!

I have slowly been removing gledhills from an old peoples developement which is about 7 years old,they have had oild sorts of problems with them and refused to have gledhill re-instated.

Thanks for all the information, Ive had a look at the Macdonald thermal stores on the web, they seem to be good quality, plus they can make them to order. I will ask them for a price and compare it to the others.

Copper industries (MAXIPOD)
But based in northern Ireland but I'm sure they export across the water too
Will also make to specific orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermal store Which one? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock