Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Thermostat problem...maybe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ok a client of mine had a problem with an wireless drayton room stat. As said before on here, always easy to just replace first and see if it works. I changed the receiver and stat for the new drayton and it worked ok. And has for a couple of weeks. Then he said it would not come on if he pressed the advanced button. Only if he reset it on the receiver. So i went there and it was working fine, no fault. Then I get this message below

Ok got home at 6- heating came on (from 4,30) Temp set at 22 and currently 20.5...thought hour and half should be long enough to get to 22.....Boiler not burning but why? No green light. Constant red which suggest a problem and batteries should be removed and reset. So something not right. Pressed override and boiler fired up straight away but had to advance the setting as well. Conservatory rad only mildly warm while kitchen rad v hot....any advice ? Phil

Any ideas guys

The make is Lifestyle model Lp711 where you set timer plus Drayton digistat SCR and in hallway : Drayton digistat +1 RF.

Cheers chaps

Sounds like the receiver isn't getting a signal from the sender. Is there much distance between them? Could try temporarily taking the stat closer to the receiver and seeing if the same fault occurs?

The stat is the same place as the one before it. It doesn't seem to play up when am there though. The stat is showing a flame but the receiver needs to be reset and the programmer advanced for it to work. I shall ask them to move the stat closer to the receiver and go fron there.

I was in a custards just yesterday and she was telling me that she ended up getting the manufacturers out to her wireless (Siemens). It backed on to the same wall as their computer. they reckoned that the computer was causing interference? Moved it to another wall and its worked okay ever since!

I'd think moving the stat closer would at least give you a bit more insight and eliminate or prove a theory :) ... Not much else you can do to pacify eh?

Sounds like the room stat has been wired off the switch side of the clock.
It needs a 4 core to work properly. A permanent live and neutral and 2 switch wires from 1 & 3.

Depending if the boiler being controlled is volt free or 230v will govern how you connect the switch wires.

Probably not showing up when you are there as the stat will reconnect itself if you turn it up and down a couple of times.

Sounds like the room stat has been wired off the switch side of the clock.
It needs a 4 core to work properly. A permanent live and neutral and 2 switch wires from 1 & 3.

Depending if the boiler being controlled is volt free or 230v will govern how you connect the switch wires.

Probably not showing up when you are there as the stat will reconnect itself if you turn it up and down a couple of times.

The boiler is an alpha 50 if that helps. It used to work ok apparently

A cd50 storage combi?
Is the receiver close to the timer?
How many wires are on it?

Yes a storage combi. And it is close to the combi. Not sure how many as am not there now. So you are saying it should be 4

The receiver should be wired to the timeclock and the time clock to the boiler. There are other ways to do it as long as the power goes through things in the correct order.

Check it is wired like this

4 wires, Live neutral 1 on receiver to terminal 3 on clock, 3 on receiver to the wire going to 1 on the boiler either joined with a bit strip behind the clock or you can use terminal 4 for joining them as that terminal is not used on the clock.

If the live to the receiver has been wired from 3 on the clock, linked from L to 1 and then from 3 to the boiler 1 the receiver will only be powered when the clock turns on so will loose communication every time it turns off.
Sometimes the stat will reconnect quite quickly when the clock turns on again other times it may need to switch a couple of times.

Awesome thanks tamz, I shall check this out when I get to go around again.

Excited to get tucked in!!:)

Roughly 4 metres in 2 solid walls to go through

Mutley,

I use commercial wireless room thermostats and they are a bit more robust than domestic and I would not use them through two walls solid or 3 x 2 plasterboard
they are not reliable, we use a wireless tester that can test the location of the stat to the receiver before you fix the position, like diamond says just move the stat for a few days
and try it. I like the bit about it doesn't do it whilst you are there, move in then, solved. Maybe these will work through two walls, what do the destructions say.

The stat has a lot of settings in engineer mode also relay/ valve protection , basically stops it from switching on and off lots had some idiots in office playing with one so now Ty have a wired stat and a 5/2 programmer !!!

Went back there tonight and told them to put stat close to receiver for a couple of days to see how it goes. Funny how it only stops in the evening apparently at around 8.30 when they realise it's got a wee bit cooler. Didn't check how many wires the stat as I was just dropping in for another fault. As soon as I go back with part for repair I shall have a looksy then.

Thanks for the help fellers

So we moved the stat and all is working fine. Thanks fellers. Great job done. Funny how the old one worked fine for 8yrs and the new couldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostat problem...maybe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame...
Replies
Views
I have a ideal logic 30 boiler ,the thermostat receiver looks to have died ( no lights on wired receiver ) I believe this need# replacing but in...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm having issues with my wireless Honeywell thermostat. It's sat in the living room, set at 18C currently. It makes my Worcester Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 boiler and would greatly appreciate your expert advice. The Problem: Heating...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock