Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss This gate valve position.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Excuse my wonderful drawing.

Someone put a gate valve here. If I've used the wrong symbol for a valve forgive me you'll have to imagine the right one.

There isn't one anywhere on the cold feed from the CWSC.

Since - if closed this isolates the water in the cylinder from the open vent - my guess is it is against regs as hot water has nowhere to expand.

However my question is....As long as the water is cold/hot water turned off can I use it to isolate the hot just to change a tap?

Not seen one in this position before and don't won't to overlook something. Can't think of a reason why that wouldn't be ok but want to check

Also, bonus question. If the hot water was off but still had say a bit more cooling to do before it reached where it was going to stay - and this valve was closed - would this cause any issues?

If it's dodgy to use I'll just drain the CWSC, fit one on the cold feed.

67273410_673413143159588_32175614353997824_n.jpg

Thanks all. Did the tap and took off the handle and advised the customer.

Out of curiosity though any thoughts about my other question in the OP?

"If the hot water was off but still had a bit more cooling to do before it reached where it was going to stay - and this valve was closed - would this cause any issues?"

If hot water expands then surely it's going to contract when it cools and if the vent is blocked could this in a worst case scenario bring about the same risk of cylinder implosion you can get from opening a tap if the vent is submerged?

Reply to This gate valve position.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in...
Replies
Views
Hi there, All was good until one day the hot water suddenly started running quite a lot cooler. Putting my hand on the output at the boiler it's...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock