Discuss Threaded Joint Leaks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TFC

Hi. I am fitting shower mixer valve, which has threaded elbow outlets. I have used lashings of PTFE tape, but they are still weeping. I am a mere DIYer but have done several jobs like this before without probs.
Am I doin g something wrong? ANy ideas please? Thanks.
BTW have searched and cant find post dealing with this.

Are you winding the PTFE on the right way. Can you post a pic of the joint, you sure its not a joint designed to be used with a fibre washer.

You could try something called loctite 55 its a sealing tape with jointing compound in as well.

Surely the joint doesn't just seal on the threads.
Depending on the type of joint, you will probably need an o ring or a sealing washer.

Have you made sure you have everything in place?
What about trying some fernox LSX?

Last edited:
use Loctite thread seal string, but follow instructions on tube. works every time.

Check you are using an olive and make sure you are winding the ptfe tape round the same way that you tighten the nut.

Not much else that i can think of, if its all done right it should not leak, might be a faulty compression elbow.

If it's tight(ish) when doing up the nut then use a good wipe of boss white on the thread before tightening. If it is loose and you are not getting any luck with the PTFE then a few strands of hemp and a bit of grease will do the job.

I think I read somewhere in the water regs that you can't use hemp due to microbiological growth in water systems with hemp.

Sounds to me you are endevouring to connect up a normal compression fitting but failing to use an olive,
Look at the thread (I assume it is male?) and assess whether it is tapered or parrallel,
also does 15mm copper tube fit inside it.
Was there not any nuts and olives in the box it came in.

Hi and thanks for all the responses, and sorry bit slow to get back (dont ask). The mixer valve (Hansgrohe) has internal BSP connections, and was not supplied with any outlet fittings or seals. I've followed this up with the suppliers, who arent being very helpful. I'm using elbows, BSP to compression. The compression end connecting to the pipework is fine, but the end screwing into the valve is difficult to seal. I dont think you are meant to use sealing washers, and in any case couldnt really with an elbow, cos it wont neccesarily screw in to the correct depth when the elbow is correctly aligned.
Actually since posting, I've done this with a few extra winds of tape, (definitely winding it right way) and it seems to be OK. Still not convinced though. Maybe you could use straight outlet fittings with seals, then elbow after?
Have tried to upload pic, but cant work out how. Have also trawled hansgrohe website - no obvious clues there, and cant find installation instructions anywhere online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Threaded Joint Leaks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock