Search the forum,

Discuss Tilers - love em or hate em in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

Hi all. Ok we are re fitting a bathroom and due to mis-communication etc etc the tiler has been in and tiled the walls and floor. The problem is this - I am yet to install the new WC and although not a problem I am a bit concerned about drilling through the customers porcelain floor tiles to fix the WC in case I crack them - any ideas to get round this apart from having a cra* really carefully so the pan dont move?

Cheers all

Easy job - honestly!

Just need patience and a decent drill bit and possibly masking tape (although once done a few times you needn't bother with masking tape.) The drill bit should be a tile cutting drill bit - best ones are at your local tile shop rather than building supplies.

1. Watch for any pipes or wires that are under the WC - usually aren't any but if you're new to this best to be safe. If they are don't drill holes too deep or use too long a screw or bolt.
2. Establish exactly where you want to drill the holes.
3. Remove WC then refit as a dry run. This time fit a couple of pieces of masking tape in rough area of hole. Re-measure (measure twice cut once as the saying goes). Make pencil marks on masking tape.
4. Check and dry run again if necessary. Check also that loo doesn't wobble and if it does, make up where necessary with thin pieces of wood or whatever (best not to use cardboard as this looses rigidity when wet).
5. And check again until you're totally comfortable with fit.

Then the easy part - drilling holes.

Masking tape should have pencil marks on in correct places.

With drill bit in battery drill, press against mark and turn drill very slowly. Keep going, taking your time and press further into hole. It will be tiny to begin with but won't take too long to get larger.

Remove masking tape.

Once hole is 6mm wide then you can change drill bits for the floor below.

If concrete floor make sure hole is deep enough for screw or bolt. If it needs to be wider (e.g. for bolt) then you can use the next size up of masonry bit one millimetre at a time until hole is wide enough.

If wood floor make sure you don't drill through all the wood - best to let a wood screw bite into the floor as it will be a stronger fit.

Finally, don't tighten bolt or screw too tight - until it just grips - or you'll greatly risk cracking the pan (something I learned a few years ago!)

I admit it's petrifying first time, but give yourself time and there's no real difficulty with the right bit.

Good luck.

Hi, Using the right bit for purpose should not present problems, If raw plugs are to be used mack sure they are in hole below level of tiles, if not cracking is imminent. Good Luck

a lot of plumbers are now just siliconing the pan to tiles!!! ;)

with cistern screwed pan connector connected and bead of silicone around the toilet it doesnt go far. we tend to screw them but have siliconed, depending how hard the tiles are.

makita brickmaster are excellent for most tiles by the way.

a lot of plumbers are now just siliconing the pan to tiles!!! ;)

with cistern screwed pan connector connected and bead of silicone around the toilet it doesnt go far. we tend to screw them but have siliconed, depending how hard the tiles are.

makita brickmaster are excellent for most tiles by the way.

Brickmasters are excellent, I drilled and screwed my friend gavins mug to the floor with one.

How low can you go?:eek:
Messing with your mates mug, he's gonner get you back!
It was in a council void, he drilled a 16mm spade bit hole through the cieling when I was having a dump and poured the contents of the heating tank over me.

Porcelain is particularly hard to drill through. I use a rotozip with one of their Xcore drill bits.

:)
Good trick that with the mug.

I think I'll give it a go but take it a stage further and put a tap washer and penny washer on the screw to seal it and then fill it with tea/coffee. :p

Trouble is I work alone. :(

i hate tilers every ones a prima donna and never listen to anything you ask bathpanels completely tiled despite the fact that there was no water on in the place so nothing tested tiled over acces panels for valves and took the shroud of the shower so you cant get to anything now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

a very good trick to use when drilling the tiles is to make a doughnut of plaumbers mate and stick it around your hole fill it with water this will help to keep the drill from burning out.

i hate tilers every ones a prima donna and never listen to anything you ask bathpanels completely tiled despite the fact that there was no water on in the place so nothing tested tiled over acces panels for valves and took the shroud of the shower so you cant get to anything now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

you have met our tiler then? lol:D

At last.................. someone has actually come up with a worthwhile use for plumbers mate!!!!

The floor should be tiled first before the pan is fastened. Nothing looks worse than tiling round a pan or basin!!

Surprised our drilling friend hasn't been chirping in about his porcelain drillin products!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tilers - love em or hate em in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock