Search the forum,

Discuss to calculate if one radiator can be added to CH system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hussy

Hi all
I have a conventional open vented CH system with x9 radiators in a x4 bed house. The living room has one radiator and other areas of the room are cold. I want to add a radiator to this room.
How do you calculate if one can be added and is there a specific calculation/calculator to figure this.
I guess you take the width/height measurements or your radiator and note if they are single/double panel etc.
What else comes into play in the maths of this.
By the way thanks to everyone re my last thread, all fixed now.

if your diy, then add another rad to match the one you have , on an old ov system youll probably have more than enough power in hand on the boiler not to have to worry.

hi
the house is 15 yrs old, oil burner in outhouse.
I have a double panel rad 1/2 size of existing rad in living room, was going to install that from a branch off opposite a hall rad.

I personally would put the heating on full till everything melts. If it struggles and everything gets just warm you cant do it. If it boils the cat then you got the heatage!

I have never done it though so wait for someone more sensible there is a calculation based on heat output of the boiler KW i believe.

Q'est que???
ha ha ha that was one mighty weird reply, tell me more on the calculation!

there is a proper way to work out heat loss per room using U values and calculations. Also there is a mears calculator but this is not as accurate. Most engineers jus use their experience to know what size boiler a house requires. but this all depends on if you got double glazing, filled cavity wall or jus a cavity, roof insulation, floor insualtion and air changes.

like i said if your going to diy it then off you go, wont be a problem.

have you tried balancing the system? possibly sludged up?do you know the output of your boiler:)regards turnpin

the CH system has been thoroughly clean and protected. In the same houses in my street, they have x2 rads in their living rooms, which is why I was thinking of installing another one as I have only one.

Old plumber you are a bit of a sarky sort but I love the larks.

if these houses are all the same with identicle systems the just measure the neighbours rads.Simples:)regards turnpin

night all, sarkys off to bed, told you to just get on with it in my first post didnt I

Agree with Oldplumber. Dont confuse the situation, just add a radiator, it will be OK.

if your diy, then add another rad to match the one you have , on an old ov system youll probably have more than enough power in hand on the boiler not to have to worry.
+1 agree with OldPlumbers advice.

dear old plumber, your were right all along and all else agree. I thankyou and nighty night:p

there is a proper way to work out heat loss per room using U values and calculations. Also there is a mears calculator but this is not as accurate. Most engineers jus use their experience to know what size boiler a house requires. but this all depends on if you got double glazing, filled cavity wall or jus a cavity, roof insulation, floor insualtion and air changes.

its easy to calculate the size of the rad for each room but r u asking if a rad can be added without over stretching the boiler?

what is the output of the boiler? what is the outputs of all rads? whats the output of the hot water system? what sizze is the pipe going to the proposed rad? how many rads are off the pipe going to the proposed new rad?

if u can work all that out see if the boiler output is at least 15% greater than the collective outputs of all the other things. then check the pipe is big enough to send enough heat down the pipe to the rads offf that circuit

thanks fuzzy, i will work my way through that, and yes I was questioning this so as not too overstretch the boiler capacity. The pipes are 15mm copper, all single panel rads x5 and x4 same downstairs - need to measure though.
Thanks

Easy answer:

If normal room (one external wall, one window) 45, warm room (small internal or loads of insulation on external wall) 40 and cold room (two or three external walls, single glazing, large chimney, etc) 50.

Then - size of room multiplied by above number and divide by 1000 gives you the wattage required.

So 4m long x 3m wide x 2.8m tall = 33.6 x 45 / 1000 = 1.512Kw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to to calculate if one radiator can be added to CH system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Hi All! I hope you can give me some advise. I had combi boiler (Viessman vitodens 100-w 30kW) installed about half year ago. Recently I start hearing one single bang when hot water is opened at any of taps around house. It sound like someone in other room will knock a radiator (not relly loud...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock