Discuss Toilet bowl fails to empty in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnmadbag

I have a downstairs toilet which has a 90 degree pan connector with boss, and until a few months ago also had the washing machine outlet connected through the boss. I rerouted the washing machine, and I think, but am not sure, that about that time I started having flushing problems. The toilet is near the outside wall, so the soil pipe goes 90 degrees right out of toilet, then the soil pipe exits through the wall, turns 90 degrees down and straight into the ground, so there is effectively no soil stack.

The bowl fills to the top,and over a period of time empties, with various gurgling and bubbling noises. It empties until the level in the bowl is well below normal, virtually empty.

My first thought is to fit an AAV (?) which would presumably have to be internal (frost). If I release the plug on the boss I hear a hissing of air, which I had assumed was higher pressure in the soil pipe. Is this in fact a vacuum that would be cured by having an AAV? If so should I fit the AAV inside, or out, or just drill a hole in the top of the soil pipe bend outside ;) ?

John

Hi John

Just in the process of fitting a new bathroom and using an AAV. Firstly, are you sure the problem is due to not having a vent, I wouldn't expect the level of water in the bowl to drop so low if the vent was to blame, sounds more like a blockage. I think this depends on how easy it would be to fit either option and how much space you have.

Sounds a bit odd that a washing machine was attached to this point! Could crack a couple of jokes......

Hi there

Just experimented some more, and on flush when the bowl fills up air bubbles come back into the bowl at the bottom. This would suggest positive pressure in the pan connector space, and I believe AAV is to counteract a vacuum effect. Also I stuck a pressure washer in the boss today, and although wasn't very effective as the nozzle was too big to get inside, nevertheless toilet seems to be emptying slightly faster. I will get some rods and see if I can get them right down the soil pipe. It does have two tight bends before it sets off for the road so could be that.

Thanks again

well, the last 4 like you discribe that i have done have all been blockages in the pan caused by these. i even had to replace one toilet because it wouldnt budge untill i smashed the pan to bits to see what was causing it.

well i stuck a hosepipe up and wiggled it around ok and if i take the plug out and flush it seems ok, but with the plug in the boss the pressure seems to build. will check pan again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet bowl fails to empty in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, fitting a back to wall toilet in a small cloakroom. The soil pipe is a vertical clay pipe about 20cm from the wall and so I will have to build...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I wonder if anyone is able to help with advice on this. We have fitted a new toilet and 6 litre cistern .. it flushes .. but not as efficiently as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm trying to install a new toilet. The old cast soil pipe has been cut 'flush' to the inside and outside wall. On the inside, I will...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello all, We have a small bathroom, which currently has the toilet on the outside wall, and the sink on the inside wall. What are the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would very much appreciate some help/feedback on what I am proposing for my very small ensuite bathroom. While refurbishing it I’m...
Replies
Views
Back