Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Toilet Cistern Lid - Can't remove Single Push Button in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tdm

Help Please!

I am trying to remove my toilet cistern lid to investigate water leaking into bowl and cistern never filling up enough to flush and cannot remove the single push button which I understand I need to remove to be able to get lid off?

I have tried turning the surrounding ring anti clockwise but it refuses to turn more than a few mm and then spring back.

Also tried to lever out the internal button to get access to a possible screw, again no luck?

I attach some pics which I hope will be of some help.

I managed to swivel cistern lid enough to get my hand into the cistern with my iphone.

Hope someone can help me!

Attachments

• Toilet 1.jpg
    Toilet 1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Toilet 2.jpg
    Toilet 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 54
try lifting the the button out with a small screwdriver and there might be a screw underneath it

looks like it unscrews, right beggar when a bit old, got 2 at home like that

You will probably have to break it out and get a replacement maybe from toiletspares on the net. Alternatively replace the flush valve completely.

might be stuck. try to use more force. anticlockwise as you did already, something will get loose, you will see what :p

Eventually managed to unscrew outer ring with the help of some WD40! Thank you all for taking the time to read and reply.

Now with the constant water flow into basin, looks like the rubber washer at bottom of flush valve is not making a great seal so I assume I need a complete new flush valve?

Second problem I see is that the water flow from the inlet valve is very slow and would take quite a while to fill cistern, is their any quick fix/adjustment on this or do I need a new one also?

Many thanksphoto(9).jpg

Replace the fill valve and this will sort 2nd problem. Remember to silocne bottom of fill valve where it meets the bottom of the cistern

as for the first it depends why it's always flowing into pan. It may be that the fill valve is letting too much water in and going down the overflow of the siphon. If it isn't I would replace the siphon also

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the middle bit - the siphon is a like for like replacement just push down an twist.

However there are 100's of these types and getting a like is very problemantic - getting the
rubber washers is difficult as most merchants want to sell you new parts for £18.00.

TRy 'fastpart' on internet if its Ideal Standard/Armitage Shanks price £2.00 ish

Chk

He will be taking cistern off to change ballcock anyway so might aswell just change the whole unit instead of paying over odds and wasting time finding correct one? The fluid aster combo fill valve and push button siphon for about a tenner will surely do the trick?

Sorry not taking off but draining it all etc so for time taken may aswell just take it away from wc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet Cistern Lid - Can't remove Single Push Button in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock