Search the forum,

Discuss Trouble with the concept..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

This morning I had to look at a problem with a drain,

The house has one bathroom, downstairs cloakroom, washing machine which are all plumbed into one soil stack.

The downstairs toilet has an air admittance valve and coming off this short stack is the washing machine feed, this also has an air admittance valve.

What is happening is that when the bath is being emptied it comes back to the toilet as does the washing machine.

Having looked at it and taken the air admittance valve off the washing machine outlet it had a carrier bag in it! I was told that this was to prevent water leaving the valve. The water leaving the valve is a new development.

I don't think its a blockage because the water is going away, my intention is to replace the small air admittance valve because its obviously has issues.

Done a little digging and discovered that the air valve should be above the spill level, the one that needs replacing is below this level (washing machine), could this be causing the problem with water coming out?

Why would there need to be 2 air admittance valves?

Is there anything else I should consider? Would a broken valve produce the symptoms described? Is this a trial and error process?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Have they had trouble with the w/machine trap syphoning? Smell etc. as the valve may have been installed to act as an anti sypnon. Good Luck

dude you can get mc alpine traps with air admittance
valves on them check them, did you lift any mah hole covers and check the sewers>?

Why not try a HepVo valve if drawing the water from the trap.

never, lifted any man hole covers, must be honest I never thought about it the reason was the air admit valve was covered underneath by a plastic bag. So, I presumed that this was the problem.

Everyday, you learn something new....

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trouble with the concept..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock