Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss TRV's and Part L Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaw

Hi

I've been to survey for a new boiler in a customers house today. During our conversation I mentioned about the need to upgrade his existing rad valves for TRV's to meet the Part L regulations (timer and stat already present). The guy went through the roof. I believe he thought I was trying to rip him off, which obviously I'm not although I can see his point of view. I've never really had this problem before. My questions are:

1. What if a customer does not want to upgrade to TRV's, do you just walk away?
2. How strict are the regulations being policed?
3. How does everyone else deal with these situations?

On another note, he was also none too happy when I told him I would have to update his boiler gas pipe to 22mm! ("Can't see why you have to do that, old one's worked fine")!

The guy has another plumber / heating engineer going around tonight to give him a quote. Just got a funny feeling that I'll probably end up losing this job as the other guy won't bother so much :(

Thanks

If it made a difference between getting the job and not regarding trv's i know what id do. As to upgrading the gas supply its got to be 100% non negotiable. From what you've said the customer sounds like hard work so that some consolation if you miss out

all you can do is advise, you have to make sure you inform the customer of the current requirements like controls, zones, trv's etc.... but you have to make sure you come across in a certain way. You are not the customer and its there money and property, dont make it sound like your telling them what they must have fitted. Give advise, if they dont want it, note down on the quote,benchmark and reciept that customer did not want the existing system upgrading to comply to current building regulations.

dont lose a job over such thing unless your snowed under.

As for the gas pipe, its not an option, it has to be correct.

Last edited:
I always tell the customer that TRVs should be fitted under part L but put the price for the TRVs separately and give them the option to refuse to have them fitted. Gas pipe is not an option although if it's borderline I will put a discount on the price that is deductable should I not need to upgrade the gas.

Thanks for the info so far

Is there anything in black and white that allows a customer to decline the TRV upgrade and protects the GSR if they decide to do so ?

Also a good idea to try to sell controls to customers, not because of the extra money to you, but selling the benefits of the energy saving to them over the life of the system. This requires a good knowledge of what the choices are & how they work & possibly the savings they could make ?
Might also be worth investigating how to charge just 5% VAT on them if you are VAT registered. It all helps.

Advise on the benefits, long term savings, more control etc.
If customer is that stubborn and you want the job, get them to sign that they have refused your energy advice and do the job.

If the property is over 150 meter squared then required trvs to be fitted as regs ,trvs is not a requirement according to gsr or homeywell unless as i stated from what i gather . Regarding the gas pipe where does it reduce ??

if property is over 150sq m then it requires zoning. regs say trvs on all rads except the one(s) with a room stat(interlock).
nowt to do with gsr or honeywell, they dont make the regs.
thou you carnt make cust av them, get them to sign summat saying that they dont want them as graham has said

So you dont fit trv's get nothing signed saying dont want them whose gonna pick it up if it aint new build ???Build control wont be bothered got bigger fish to fry than few trv's not fitted .

from memory since 2010 the 150m2 rule no longer applies as the main factor on wether zones are required or not, below 150m2 you dont need seperate timed zones ony temp control.

from memory since 2010 the 150m2 rule no longer applies as the main factor on wether zones are required or not, below 150m2 you dont need seperate timed zones ony temp control.
Sorry AW but your poor old memory is on the blink, (like mine) LOL
Zoning still required & we have done this one a few times even since I have been posting, we had the definitive answer for the retro-fit a few months back two heating zones (upstairs / downstair) not required if going to be cost prohibitive, but is required on new build of any size. (always been there for >150M2).

Sorry AW but your poor old memory is on the blink, (like mine) LOL
Zoning still required & we have done this one a few times even since I have been posting, we had the definitive answer for the retro-fit a few months back two heating zones (upstairs / downstair) not required if going to be cost prohibitive, but is required on new build of any size. (always been there for >150M2).

what i was trying to say chris was the 150m2 rule no longer applies ie. you zone even if the property is below 150m2 and the 150m2 is used more as a benchmark to what controls are used. I was not saying its not required.

i guess i worded it badly :(

Thanks for the info so far

Is there anything in black and white that allows a customer to decline the TRV upgrade and protects the GSR if they decide to do so ?
its called 'turn-over'

you cannot make any one pay for things they do not want unless the 'law' tells them they have too..(like correct gas work) its the customers option and your reasoning that determines if the doos or donts.

so, lesson learnt.

The guy has another plumber / heating engineer going around tonight to give him a quote. Just got a funny feeling that I'll probably end up losing this job as the other guy won't bother so much :(

who cares really? no ones gonna come and pull you up on it if there not fitted,just right on the benchmark customer declined

If you are looking for a paper trail a good idea is to give price A which us full heating system including full compliance control wise, price B which is full system without TRV's etc, price C which is for boiler only ( make sure quote includes no liability for existing system if/when it fails) price D is for labour only (again make sure paperwork is 100% watertight on your liability)

what i was trying to say chris was the 150m2 rule no longer applies ie. you zone even if the property is below 150m2 and the 150m2 is used more as a benchmark to what controls are used. I was not saying its not required.

i guess i worded it badly :(
I thought it was most un-like you to have a senior moment !, me, hav' em all the timeee....... "yes about half past three" now what where we talking about ? Oh well I am off to bed, night night every one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRV's and Part L Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock