Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Typical oil consumption in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plum Bob 66

Good afternoon

I had recently posted a thread in the arms about the excessive oil consumption of my Mothers oil fired boiler.

A little bit of history for you.

The boiler is a Firebird 150k- Model RDB2.2. This was installed approximately 18 months ago by an Oftec registered installer.

5 weeks ago she had 500 litres of kerosene delivered and it ran out last Friday,the boiler is only on for the central heating 5 hours daily, so this equates to 175 hours over that period. She has estimated the oil consumption has cost her £50 per week since last top up.

For those of you in the know, can you tell me does this sound excessive ? If so, with the figures I have given what length of time should 500 litres last.

Prior to the new boiler being installed she has told me that the consumption was never as noticeable as it is now.

As a pensioner with a limited income this is becoming a very real concern for her, so some helpful feedback would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Bob

What size boiler is it Bob? And is it a combi?

Last edited by a moderator:
This burner can be set to use between. 2.12 litres per hour and 3.55 litres per hour, on the low side for 175 hours continual use that's 371 litres and on the top side it's 622 litres That's on the 175 hours and that's also saying it was actually burning for those 175 hours. It needs checking.

Is it in a location that means it is protected by a frost stat, and if so is there a pipe stat to knock the frost stat off once warm?

Sorry boys not quite used to this taps tapatalk yet.
It's an open vented boiler Lord Croppie and Simon a frost stat is fitted
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, that should have read Croppie, I've got me running shows in now lol!

A 150k boiler sounds large (if that's BTU's). If it's a large house and if it's poorly insulated then 500 litres is not too surprising, depending on the temperature of the house.

Very difficult to judge from here without more info to be honest. Three if's there and a depending!!! :smile:

I'm not trying to be awkward - honest!!

If you could tell us how many bedrooms and whether it's fairly modern double glazed or old black and white farmhouse or something this would be of great help!

(You're not not the only suffering. We're in rented accommodation and the frost stat is wired in wrongly. The oil delivery was delayed and we needed an urgent supply. 205 litres at 90p a litre. Gone in 4 or 5 days!! Why? Cos it snowed and we couldn't shut some windows!)

Get a pipe stat fitted on the return wired into the frost stat so that it kills the frost stat when the water is upto temp.

The house is a four bedroom dormer style with full double glazing and fully insulated.Most of the trvs are turned down in all but the main living areas
Bob

I know we're your coming from Howaie and I suggested the same thing to her.yes it's lockwd

Get a pipe stat fitted on the return wired into the frost stat so that it kills the frost stat when the water is upto temp.

I know! :smile:

I would if I could but I can't - big shame.

Presumably there's no oil leak? In my experience they're not at all easy to find. It might be worth undoing the supply line and both ends and pressure testing it.

500 litres is not a lot of oil to a boiler that size.
That is 14 litres (3 UK gallons) for 5 hrs daily use. Def possible, but on the high side. The first hour is the heavy longer burn, so I wonder is the boiler being turned on & off during the day, either manually or controls?
Might be a good idea to have the flue gas readings checked. Not saying this is the case here, but there's plenty of oftec guys who seem to be able to set them wrong!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Typical oil consumption in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock